Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How closely related can you breed bunnies without risking mutant/deformed etc kits? I have a beautiful brother/sister pair, I don't want to breed them but I was wondering if I could cross them with each others kits or have a breeding pair of a kit from each of their litters.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
How closely related can you breed bunnies without risking mutant/deformed etc kits? I have a beautiful brother/sister pair, I don't want to breed them but I was wondering if I could cross them with each others kits or have a breeding pair of a kit from each of their litters.
Brother and sister can make some pretty meat rabbits. I would not breed them if I was going to register them, but as far as meat---go for it!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Agreed PD-Riverman! We were told we could breed father's to daughters, etc - but not brothers and sisters - but, if you are only going to use them for meat - and they are nice rabbits, I would breed them.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
You can breed several generations of rabbits w/o any serious issues. But any hidden issues will come up. For meat, it's fine. You can even keep their kits and breed them all around to each other.
If you're selling pedigreed stock, then don't inbreed.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
One brother/sister breeding won't do anything. If you inbreed heavily for many generations something might come up. All you have to do is cull those rabbits and keep going. You can breed infinitely without new blood if you only use the best rabbits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts