Breeding question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Mountain View, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Mountain View

Mountain View Well-Known Member

I have 4 Oberhasli goats that I would like to breed this winter. Are there any breeds I should or shouldn't cross with to result in good milkers? There aren't really oberhasli's in my area as we got these goats from pretty far away. This is our first time with goats and I'm just learning the basics. Any advice?

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Crossing your does with any dairy breed buck out of good milking lines should make for good milk kids. Don't cross with Boer or any other meat or hair goat breed for milky kids. If appearance is important to you and you like the look of the Swiss breeds, use an Alpine or Saanen buck.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Don't cross with Boer or other meat breeds IF you want to have ADGA registered goats that you can show (and I hope someday the ADGA will wise up on that -- there are very good goats in all the breeds, and a lot of them can milk). Otherwise, think about what you want out of your goats. I like my dairy-meat crosses (I have Kinders, which are Pygmy and Nubian, and I also have some Oberhasli/Boer crosses) actually BETTER than straight dairy goats. They are easier keepers, have excellent rumen capacity and body capacity, need less grain, give richer, sweeter milk, and are generally just nice, calm goats. I have a 3/16 Boer doe kid who could have beat all the straight dairy doe kids at the goat show we went to -- and there were some very nice goats at that show. Her mother peaked at fourteen pounds of milk a day, probably averaged over eight pounds for her full lactation (I didn't keep complete records, but I could have milked her through), and she was almost half Boer. Her milk was as rich as the Kinder milk -- which is very rich. And surplus kids are meatier than straight dairy kids.

Also, if you ever want to use any of your goats for packing, or sell kids to packers, a little Boer in there (up to half Boer) is desireable for the stocky sturdiness, and calm disposition. Do, however, make sure you get Boer genetics from lines with good feet and legs, and with good udders.

Oberhasli's tend to be smaller than the other pure dairy breeds, so if you can find a nice, big sturdy buck to breed them to, that might be a good way to go. Nubian would make a good cross, though you'd get funny airplane ears. As goatkid said, if you care about the ears, cross with another Swiss breed. Oh, and white is dominant, so be aware of that if you breed to a Saanen (or a Boer).

Kathleen

4. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Hi..I guess I'd have to go along with Kathleen on this. I started out crossing my dairy girls with a boer buck. I use my 50/50s for mommas to make my meat goats. The 50/50s have great meaty kids and milk like a million bucks. My buck kids hit 60-65 lb. in three months on milk and whatever hay or grass they can eat.

I have been real happy with the girls...and I think a couple of the crosses give my old dairy girls a real run for their money.

But I am just real partial to the crosses I have. My dairy girls are Saanens and Nubians. I love em!

Good luck on your choice of bucks! Like Kathleen said..if you use boer..it really opens up some other avenues as far as uses for the kids.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Before opting to use a Boer buck....be sure you will have a market for those kids!! Some places Boers are harder to sell than dairy goats and some places they are easier. Me?? I would opt for crossing with another swiss dairy breed, unless there is a really good meat market in your area or unless you wish to butcher some of the Boer kids yourself.

6. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

We have some Saanen does and a Toggenburg and they are all getting bred to a Boer buck. There is quite a demand around here for anything with Boer influence in it and the dairy breeds don't sell well unless you are small time and can advertise well. That is here in Indiana. I know we can sell our Boers and Boer crosses with no problem. In fact, I doubt we'll be able to keep any for our freezer unless we purposely keep one or two back. Like everyone else said though....it depends on the demand for your area. Ask around. Call the local feed barns and see what they say. They usually know. Good luck!!

7. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

If they were mine, I'd cross them with Alpines, it is the breed most closely related to them and willincrease milk production, and has a better chance of maintaining the Ober color.

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I would also cross them with an Alpine, if you can't find an Alpine, then a Saanen.

I would stay away from a Nubian because you will get airplan ears, but that is a dairy breed.

As others have said, if you use Boer blood, the kids and their kids after that, will forever carry Boer genetics making any of their offspring, no matter how many times graded back up with a dairy breed, INELGEBLE to be recorded with the ADGA. So chose wisely.

It is all a matter of what you wish to use the offspring for.

I have two bucks, a LaMancha and a Boer. I use the LaMancha on my pure Lamancha does and the Boer on anything with a touch of Boer in it to make meat babies. Two different purposes.

But back to you, LOL, with your Obies, i would use a Swiss breed to stay as close as possible to the Obie type and conformation.