Breeding question.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MoCrafter, May 15, 2006.

1. MoCrafter

MoCrafter Well-Known Member

I bought 2 Saanen doelings. They are almost 3 months old. I also have pygmy goats. I have a young, almost 2 month old pygmy buckling. Has anyone ever bred a pygmy buck to a Saanen doe? If so, what were the results? I mean, was it a good cross. I basically have the pygmies for fun and the Saanens for future milk goats. I just thought it would be easier to keep a pygmy buck as they are so much smaller. I welcome any comments on this. Thanks.

Winona

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

you would get a mini Saanan, of sorts,
    they cross pygmes with Nubians to get the Kinder which is a small milk goat, i would guess it would be an alright cross if you wanted smaller animals, the milk fat would be higher due to the rich milk from the pygme side, and if your saanans turn out to be as heavy of milkers as they normally are then you could have small, spotted, heavy milking with high butter fat milk goats next year or so.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

another thing, the kids will be smaller and easier to deliver for the does!

4. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

I've wondered about this too... however, my big question is this: how does he get it done? Do you need to give him a little step ladder? I don't think a pygmy buck could reach my dairy goats?

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Nubians are tall, too, and the pygmies manage to breed them when producing Kinder lines. You might want to give them something to step on, or a lower place for the does to stand while being bred, but they will get the job done!

You would end up with white, mid-sized, dual-purpose goats -- good for meat as well as for milk, and with rich milk. I know the original Kinder breeders said they tried other crosses besides Nubian and Pygmy, and preferred the original cross, but hey, if Saanens are what you have, I'd say use them!

Kathleen