breeding question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Oct 6, 2005.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a question for you dairy people. We have mostly boers, but my hubby likes Lamanchas, so I got him 2 for his birthday. Breeder doesn't have exact b-day, but they are Feb-early Mar. kids. We are going to breed them to our small fainter buckling. Now with our boers, we wait until at least a year to breed them, but as long as these dairy girls are healthy, would it be okay to breed them around Thanksgiving time? That would make them about 9 months old. Thanks!

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

depending on thier size, im gonna breed daisy's babies in my breeding season, jan-feb. they will be 8 mon. or so. if they are still small, however, they wont get bred. it varies goat to goat wether or not to breed them.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I breed both my dairy and Boer gals to kid at or a little over a year old. So I generally breed them at about 7-8 months of age. Unless they are too small then they get held over, but that is rare.

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I breed by weight & rate of gain, not age. I want my kids to be 75-80 lbs at breeding AND be growing vigorously and maintaining good health. I have one that was a big baby (hair over 9 lbs) but has been sickly and a slow gainer. She will be a dry yearling. Another kid will barely make 75 by buck time but she has gained almost .5 lb/day, an big eater, and never been sick. She'll be bred at 8 months.

5. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We breed according to size, not so much actual age. Our dairy goats should be at least 70#. Most of our Mar/April kids will be 70# by November but I prefer to wait until December to breed doelings. By waiting a little longer, they're a little bigger, and my first kiddings of the season won't be the first fresheners.