Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered that my neighbor has a lovely Rex buck that she keeps as a pet. I am not sure how old he is (or I forgot!) but if he has never been used for breeding what are the chances that he could sire a litter?
She is willing to let my doe visit her little guy anytime. He is very sweet and appears to be healthy and happy.

Thanks!

Jeanette
Hondo, TX

Always Learning!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
well I have 2 bucks that were proven and 1 that had never been bred guess who was finally able to get my grumpy doe the new guy I did not think he had gotten it right until she started pulling fur and I also believe he got the 2nd doe I bred him too that had refused one of the other bucks. So you never know I wonder if since they have never been used if it is like human males with higher sperm counts in the begining

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Under used males may shoot blanks to start with. But you might try putting her in 12 hours apart and see if tht helps.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks! I will probably take her there and leave her for at least a day.

Jeanette
Hondo, TX

Always Learning!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Jeanette, the doe should not be left in the buck's cage without supervision. She could get fed up with his attentions after a bit and castrate him or even kill him. Maybe you could put her in with him, have coffee with your neighbour and then let her stay there in a pet carrier until you come back in the evening. Then one more "date" and she goes home with you. Much the safest way.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Ya, you can do that.....Depending on age, it somtimes harder for him to get the job done, if he is still fairly young it should work fine. If he is a bit older, it may take him a while to get back into working order.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Jeanette, the doe should not be left in the buck's cage without supervision. She could get fed up with his attentions after a bit and castrate him or even kill him. Maybe you could put her in with him, have coffee with your neighbour and then let her stay there in a pet carrier until you come back in the evening. Then one more "date" and she goes home with you. Much the safest way.
MaggieJ, I have never had a problem with this. I know a friend of mine leaves her does with the bucks for longer periods than that and it is fine. One of my does was not being very helpful, so left her in there for a while(2 days) and nothing happend badly, and she became bred. My friend or I never leave them in at night though.

When i do my breedings, I put the doe in the bucks cage, make sure they get along, see a sucsessful breed, give that cage hay, and leave for a while(few hours), never had a problem.

Im not saying your post is false in anyway, just saying me and all my rabbit friends have ever had a problem.

Jesse

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maggie,
I will heed your advice! I have had no trouble leaving my rabbits alone for a full 24 hours however I would be beyond mortified if my doe hurt her buck.
Thanks for your input!!

Jeanette
Hondo, TX

Always Learning!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the possibility. It doesn't happen often, but there was one sad case awhile back where someone was interrupted by unexpected guests and left the buns together. Came back some time later to a mutilated buck. He died from his injuries.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Someone on the LH list said she bred one of her does and the buck broke the does back. I don't know if she was watching or not...

I tried to breed a doe the other day and it went after the buck something awful, I had to pull her to check that she was still a doe!

Usually I watch the first breeding, then I go do some chores, but I am in the vicinity, just in case. Certain does I wouldn't leave unattended, depends on the doe. Usually I do a bunch all at the same time, those hormones in the air really seem to help!

I have a pair now "Living in Sin" I couldn't get the doe to breed for anything, and they chewed the divider apart to be together. Honestly, I was so frustrated at her lack of breeding, that I left them together for an entended "date", course I have not a clue if she's bred or when she's due now, sometime between next week and next month! ;p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts