Breeding quandry... What would you do?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by homebirtha, Jul 17, 2006.

1. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Alrighty, here's the scenario...

We have a small herd of fainters, who are main focus when it comes to goat breeding. But we also have two Lamancha's who we use for milk. These are registered, from very good lines, great milkers, etc. Last fall, we bred them to a very good buck ($25 stud fee for each, it will be $50 this year), but this spring we practically couldn't give their kids away. So we're looking at other options. We don't have a name in dairy or show circles, so the kids are not going to sell well for that, no matter who we breed them to.

We looked at meat bucks, but have decided we don't want to keep a buck that large and strong around. We're trying to decide how to get them bred this fall. We figure we'll either sell the kids for meat or keep them for our own freezer, so who do we use?

Option 1: Our fainter buck. The fainter/LM cross would be, umm, interesting I'm sure. But the kids would probably be small and slow-growing. But, we already have him, and have to keep and feed him for our fainter herd, so it's basically "free". KWIM?

Option 2: Our full-blood LM buckling from this spring, out of one of our does. The LM buckling is very good-looking so far and would probably be a decent breeding buck. Of course, one of the breedings would be to his mother, so I don't think we'd want to keep anything out of that. The other doe is not as good a doe as his mom, so I doubt we'd get anything spectacular there, but potentially a decent milk doeling. But, the buckling will only be about 6 months old when it's time to breed. Will he even be able to get the job done? Plus, it means keeping and feeding a second buck.

Option 3: Buy something at the auction, maybe a meat cross. Use him, then sell him. I'm not crazy about this idea, because we are very careful about bringing in animals. We test and keep a clean herd, and I don't want to risk anything there.

Soooo, what would you do?

2. APPway

APPway Well-Known Member Supporter

Mother son breeding would be okay it is done all the time. You say you are going to use them for meat and sell them so I would do the LM to LM breeding

Just my 2 cents

APPway

3. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

I think I would also go with the LM to LM line breeding. Or you can keep an eye out for something neat at the auction too. You never know what you might run into at one.

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, if it was me, I'd go with the LM to LM breeding. There will be more meat simply because they will grow quicker and you never know, you may get someone dropping in and wanting to buy a milk stock kid. :)

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

what i would do, and this is just me, i would breed one doe to the fainter and one to the LM, and have a comparison,

Fainters are just a small version of Myotonic goats which is a Meat goat, a lady in Texas has tried to market them against Boer with some questionable success, but they are a meat goat, the Fainter/LM cross would have some hybred vigger, and if your buck has a good Double Muscled frame (how ever small) he could put some meat on the kids and the LM would give more bone structure, they just obviously wont be built like a Boer.

both these bucks will be Free breeding, and both have some things to offer, if you bred your doe to a superior quality LM buck then this buckling is of good material and it would be worth line breeding him back to his mother and even a half sister or two and go from there. eather way you wont be paying stud fees and you wont be bringin in any new animals with possible problems.