Breeding Problems

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by b3hummers, May 7, 2005.

1. b3hummers

b3hummers Member

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or should I say what the doe or buck is doing wrong? I have tried to breed our buck with 2 other does. 2x each and yet NO little ones. It seems like the buck is trying to do his job. But from my angle seems to be missing the spot. The buck is a califronian and the does are just "muts". We bought a few cages from a guy and gave us the two rabbits with them. We do have a doe califronian but she is only 4 months old. HELP! :confused:

2. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

First off, you failed to give us the rabbits ages. Knowing the ages of the does in question can make a difference. Also... have you checked the color of the vulva on the does to ensure that they are even ready to breed? Are the does "lifting" for the buck? Making "contact" will usually be quite obvious, as the buck will grunt, his hind legs will stiffen dramatically, and he will most often literally "fall off" of the doe (or simply "collapse" on top of the doe in rare cases). Since you say that the buck seems to be "missing the spot," it could well be the doe and not the buck. He can't do much if the doe doesn't "lift" for him to make contact.

On the other hand, I once had a Mini Lop buck who tried like a sonofagun, but could never hit the spot, even when the doe was willing! I finally sold him as a pet.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

3. b3hummers

b3hummers Member

The answer to how old the two does are is I don't know. They were giving to us. We have had them for about 4 months ourselves, and one of them had about 2 inch long toe nails. I don't know how fast the nails grow. Maybe the does are too old. :confused: How old should they be to breed them? I have read that they should be at least 8 months old.