Breeding problems/ need advise please

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Jeffery8mm, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Jeffery8mm

Jeffery8mm Well-Known Member

I have 5 does and one buck in raised wire hutches. All the does have kindles at least once and the buck was the papa of 2 of the litters, so I know they are able to breed. Here is the current problem:

I take a doe, any doe it seem, to the buck and she sits on the butt with her ears pinned back. She isnt agressive so to speak. The buck mounts up and humps away, but he isnt connecting. The does should raise their hindquarters for him shouldnt they? I try this several times with the same results. The temp here is 70 to 75 days and 40to50 nights. All does and buck are on pellet foos and are not "fat". I am desperate to get them bred so as to have some babies before it gets TOO cold. I wonder if I should put some horny goat weed in their water :)
    What can I do to facilitate the breeding process. It takes alot of time to just put the doe in with the buck and sit there watching for 15 to 20 minutes. I am hesitant to just leave her in there overnight.
    Any advise will be appreciated!!

Jeff

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

This has been discussed quite often, but a bit here and a bit there. I'll see if I can recap for you. These are in no particular order, just as they occur to me.

1. Try swapping cages overnight. Put the buck in the doe's cage and the doe in the buck's. In the morning, put the doe in with the buck. Afterwards you can return the buck to his own cage.

2. Check the doe's vulva. If it is dark reddish-purple it should mean she is receptive. If it is pale, you may be wasting your time. Warm ears are also supposed to be an indicator she may be in the mood.

3. Try supplemental lighting to give them a 14 hour "day". It could be that they are affected by the shortening days.

4. Try feeding a couple of tablespoons of wheat germ for several days.

5. This is a bit off-the-wall but try some soft music. My son used to have a doe that swooned over the Righteous Brothers' Unchained Melody.

6. As a last resort (and I really don't recommend this) you could give the buck a little help by gently raising the doe's butt a bit. He may be able to make contact then. I have read, however, that these "forced matings" often do not result in pregnancy and that makes sense to me... If she's refusing, there is most likely a reason.

7. Some people have reported more sexual interest in rabbits who have been in a pen on grass for a week or so. Not very helpful this time of year, but something to keep in mind.

8. Relax. Rabbits are very sensitive to "vibes". They may be picking up on your frustration. Take a couple of extra minutes to give the doe a little treat, rub her ears, stroke her a bit. Sweet-talk her. It can't hurt.

9. Try a diffeent buck, if you have one.

10. Try at a different time of day. If mornings don't work, try evenings. Many people say it helps to mate them before you feed them.

Hmmm.... that's all I can think of at the moment. Maybe someone else will add to the list. Good luck.

3. Jeffery8mm

Maggie,
    Those are some good suggestions and I will give them a try.
    Right now anything is better that what I got to go on!!!

Jeff

4. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

im having the same problem, two does have had litters and the others havent. grrr
    what if i get them drunk?

5. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

OK, help out the knob here...Feed wheat germ to both the buck and doe or just the doe or just the buck?

Has anyone here ever heard of giving their doe a little apple cider vinegar to help her get in the mood (I dunno, may-be it gets her drunk :)) ? I've read this a couple of times but do not know anyone who's actually tried it.

6. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Hilda,

You may as well feed the wheat germ to both of them... a nice healthy occasional supplement with natural Vitamin E. Can't hurt!

I always (well, almost always! ;) ) add a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water. Organic when I have it, but lately it's usually one of the big-name brands like Heinz. And no, I don't measure, just a good "glug". And - except for virgin does - I've never had trouble getting them bred, so there may be something to it.

Even the virgins wound up pregnant. They just weren't too keen on this new game the buck wanted to play.

So again... can't hurt! It acidifies their urine cutting the smell a bit and helping to eliminate bladder sludge. And the organic vinegar is supposed to have valuable trace elements.

Of course, it is also quite possible that my rabbits are breeding like rabbits because of "hybrid vigour". In other words, they are mutts. :p

7. Jeffery8mm

I too have heard of the ACV trick. I am going to start that tonight!!
    Thanks
    Jeff