Breeding pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by jspear21, Jun 6, 2005.

1. jspear21

jspear21 Member

Like others on this forum I've had trouble finding feeder pigs. I've found some finally, but some of my neighbors haven't yet.

This scarcity makes me think I should maybe breed one and keep some of her litter and sell the rest. It also makes me think that if experienced breeders are getting out of breeding then I, an inexperienced breeder, should definitely stay away. Or, maybe the shortages come in cycles and next year there will be a surplus of feeder pigs.

Oh, and I live in the Adirondack Mountains of NY - weeks and weeks of -20 degrees and colder in the winter, and the pig shelter is 100 feet away from the nearest source of electricity. I shouldn't breed one of these pigs, right?

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Baby pigs need it warm...like 95 degrees. We put a propane heater in our barn with I think 100# tank. It runs all day and all night. On top of that there are heat lamps. We farrow indoors. I can wear insulated bibs and be comfortable. However, when we process, I just wear street clothes and am warm then also.
    So, if you can keep them warm, try it.

3. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

Don't breed brother to sister, if you don't know I would wait until you found an unrelated bore or gilt.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

They are being raised for slaughter, so it doesn't matter. If it has five legs then you get an extra ham

5. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

I live in the midwest and my pigs have their little ones outside. Seems like they're usually born in February (when born in the cold months). They're born outside and they stay outside.

6. Brad549

Brad549 Member

Did you try your county ag extention office? They are usally pretty helpful when looking for feeder pigs they can tell you who raises them and has sold in the past or try your 4H club ask the leaders there

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

ROFL, I'm with you. I bred brother to sister. Brother and siter was all I had. Afterward I got more pigs and outcrossed. Had no deformities, stillbirths, mummies, or extra hams btw. And one very nice breeding quality gilt came out of that litter which I used in my breeding program. In the wild most sounders are inbred to an extent.