Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Duchess of Cynicism
Joined
·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, here it is in a nutshell

I do not yet have pedigrees, but it is time to produce at least 3 litters for early fall--do I go ahead and breed, or wait for pedigrees?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,536 Posts
Never buy a rabbit without one at the time of purchase.

I don't care if it's a purple and green broken, if I am buying a pedigreed rabbit, it better have the pedigree then.

Sorry to sound harsh, but unless you have a pedigree in hand, for all you know you just have a bunch of mixes. Breed them as you would with pedigrees, and if they don't come by fall, start your own, killing off the older generation with each new one.
 

·
Duchess of Cynicism
Joined
·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tend to be a trusting person, I am not really due to recieve the papers on the larger number until next week--
the youngsters are coming up nicely- but I am planning on making my own pairings with the adults to see if anything different happens. All three litters are real uniform in appearance- so I thought I would mix up the genetics-- combine one of the bloodlines with another- and I get to try out a doe that did not produce for the seller-- she is real interested in one of the males, and he in her... Sometimes you HAVE to let NAture take her own course....

I have to start breeding my rex to make a pedigree for them, not a real big issue to include the AmChins in a similar deal... But pedigrees should be here next week...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,427 Posts
Didn't you get some information with the rabbits?
I would breed them as long as your sure you are not crossing brother and sister.
I take it, the guy you got them from already had them seperated into trios or something.
The sooner you try to get the so far barren doe to the buck the better. Find out if she is worth anything or needs to go to "camp".

As far as pedigrees go, you have to trust who ever your getting them from. They could be faked just as easy as not.
 

·
Duchess of Cynicism
Joined
·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SquashNut said:
Didn't you get some information with the rabbits?
I would breed them as long as your sure you are not crossing brother and sister.
I take it, the guy you got them from already had them seperated into trios or something.
The sooner you try to get the so far barren doe to the buck the better. Find out if she is worth anything or needs to go to "camp".

As far as pedigrees go, you have to trust who ever your getting them from. They could be faked just as easy as not.
I got some info with the rabbits, and the litters were kept separated. Today, I separate the boys from the girls, as they are just hitting 3 months of age. I don't want any unplanned breedings happening :p

Considering that 5 of the 8 adults are originally from a breeder-judge-- I better get accurate pedigrees-- and that breeder judge I hope recognizes his own stuff and has record of the ear tattooes as well. I see the names of the other two sources from my seller on a breed specific forum, as well--I don't feel much concern about the ethics involved at this point and the one non-productive doe I bought has lost a bit of weight, and is showing a LOT of interest in the older boys---Nature and time may have fixed whatever issue kept her from breeding in January...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,427 Posts
Sounds to me like you might be able to give the orginal owner a call and ask if it's of to breed with out having the pedigrees in your hands.
Your right, there is not much chance of the pedigrees being faked..
I'm waitng for the papers from ARBA for my buck. If they are not here this week I'll be making a phone call to his old owner.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top