Breeding Pair Thoughts

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by jeremyx, Dec 30, 2004.

1. jeremyx

jeremyx Member

I'd like to ask the members of the board, :) what their thoughts are on keeping a breeding pair? Is it worth it? Is it worth feeding the boar year round? Do you have to separate the boar from the rest of the pigs?

A book I have suggests it is not worth it unless you have a lot of boars. You'll need to produce a lot of piglets to justify the costs. It says you'll also have to keep the boars separate.

What are your thoughts on when it appropriate to keep a breeding pair, and if you are breeding pigs, what do you do?

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

If you are in an area where feeder pigs are readily available, I would advise against keeping breeders. It's better to just buy the number of pigs you want to raise at the time.

I'm considering fencing a couple of acres and getting a boar and a sow or two simply because here in my area feeder pigs are almost impossible to find. The hog market here went south a few years ago and there just isn't anyone around to buy pigs from anymore.

I also have a small market that I'm pretty sure I can sell what two sows will raise each year. And with the size of my family, we go through 4 or 5 hogs a year.

Also, yes you do have to keep the boar seperate from the sows when they are about to farrow. The boars will kill the pigs.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

It depends on how much you like pigs :) I love planning the breeding- matching my sows with the best boar of the year (or conversely purchasing a great potential breeder). I love watching the piglets grow into promising breeders themselves. I thnk it is worth it. Costwise, it isn't a huge affair. He will need his own pen, but a good pen lasts for a long time. Just count one more mouth and more set of shots. People who just want meat for the freezer or have only cost in mind, probably don't want to purchase a boar.

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

If you really want just 1 sow I would buy a bred one, then when you want to breed again buy a young boar in advance, (time it so the boar will be at least 6 months when you want to breed). Let him get her in the family way, casterate him, feed him for a month, and butcher him.

Do it again when you are ready to breed back.

Just a thought. It wouldn't pay to keep a boar around for one sow, IMHO :)

5. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Jeremy,
    I think it totally depends on what your looking to raise, if your just going with standard cross hogs to raise for meat it may be better to just find a boar when you need one, breed them & get rid of him.
    If your looking to raise heritage breeds or rare breeds it will be best to get your boar when you can get one, the heritage & rare breeds are hard to come by & if you can get a good breeder boar then jump on it.
    this would also apply if your going to get a good rare boar & cross him to more common stock.
    I raise Tamworths & getting a boar was a considerable endeavor, 1st finding one with in a distance worth traveling to get it, the hardest part actually, I had to go almost 2 states away to get one, then you have to consider the cost, not only of the boar but traveling expences to get him here.
    good luck with what ever you decide.
    Rick

6. jeremyx

jeremyx Member

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! I'm looking for meat only and this will be my first year raising pigs. Since I can get piglets easily, I'll stick with that method for now. I was asked by the fellow I'm getting the spring pigs from if I was interested in a breeding pair, so I thought I'd post here. Thanks for the feedback everyone.