breeding of dogs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by shoopic, Jan 31, 2005.

1. shoopic

shoopic Guest

can anyone tell me at what age male dogs can breed?

2. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Sounds like a possible mistake has taken place? I've heard of males breeding at 8 mo. I suspect it can happen earlier. It really depends on the dog as some will mature slower or faster than others.

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Well it has been said male dogs are only interested in three things. These are not necessarily in the correct order. :rolleyes:

1. Eating
    2. Humping
    3. Fighting

A friend of mine came up with the fourth one.

4. Laying down on it

I would suppose they start to have thoughts about #2 sometime just after their eyes are open and probably continue to have that interest until at least 3 hours after rigor mortis sets in. The point of actually being able to carry out their wishes might be equal to the opportunities.

I even saw a gay dog, for real, not pretend in Italy. I didn't know they could really be like that. :( Just remember if something of suitable height is not available, even your leg with do. :eek:

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

the start the act as YOUNG pups but it is possible at 4 months

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

4 months is as early as I've heard them being successful.

6. When I use to be in the Beagle raising business I wouldn't breed my females until they after there second time of being in heat, so maybe close to two years old. I would do this cause 1. they are still pups when the first time they come in heat and 2. I didn't want anything to hinder there trainning such as nursing puppies during there first year of learning or anytime during rabbit season. But a lot of the decisions would be based on what type of breed you have and what there purpose is. However I still wouldn't breed the females until at least there second time being in heat. The dogs need a little more time for there bodies to develope fully.

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I hope you're not considering starting another puppy mill. If you are, please wait until your dogs are a couple years old. Many times it takes this long for genetic maladies to develop and express themselves.

8. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) More info would be good. It does depend on the breed as some reach sexual maturity before others. Generally the smaller the breed the earlier they mature.

If you suspect "something" has happened, you can get the female a shot from the Vet to head off pups.

LQ

9. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

It depends on if you WANT to breed the male or not. Usually they are interested by 7 months or so, but if you are not wanting them to be bred yet, they can breed from about 6 months on. :D

(Conversely, if you have a female you are planning to breed when she is old enough, she comes in at 11 months- just barely too young, in my breed/line; and then not again until she's 2....)

10. shoopic

shoopic New Member

thanks for the info

11. shoopic

shoopic New Member

thanks for the info

12. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Geesh , just reread my post! Had a bad typing day I guess. All who say it could not happen at 4 months were probally shocked of hearing that the occasional nine year old had sex! Its not often but do you want to take the chance? I do not leave a female in heat with any male pup or not. As for what age to breed in general not before 2. At 2 the dog is fully mature in body. OFA cannot be done til two and you have a good handle on any other genic testing that may be done.