Breeding My Does

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatladie, Oct 11, 2005.

1. goatladie

goatladie JustALittleGoatCrazy....

How long does it take for a buck to have a successful mating? From everything I have read, they should breed three times and she should take, but how long is the actual act? My one doe has stood for my buck, but he really had only a matter of seconds in her, is this normal or as she gets more ready will she let him stay longer?

2. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

The actual act only takes a matter of seconds. Thre times is great, but one time can do the job. The best thing I have to go by is when the doe's back arches up when the buck thrusts. To me that is how I know that the doe is truely in a good standing heat and are almost 100% bred.

3. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

my buck only ever gets a few seconds it seems, so I think your good. all of my does were successfully bred with in a few weeks of one another. Id give her some time when she goes into heat. When she goes out, seperate them. If she doesnt go into heat again, your good! Ive never tried to observe many individual matings, it is not like a dog. Its harder to tell in goats. Hope this helps.

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

The buck I used last year took all of 5 seconds- by the clock! My does were hand bred so all the matings were supervised. He'd jiggle for a couple of seconds, roll his eyes back and slide off. Sometimes the does would hunch their backs afterward.
    If you're used to breeding horses or dogs, the bucks seem like they just get started- but they're getting the job done.
    I had a doeling that never stood for him- she'd always walk around the pen with the buck riding along. She had twins out of that breeding.

5. goatladie

goatladie JustALittleGoatCrazy....

Well, thanks for the responses! We feel better now knowing that (hopefully!) we will be having goat babies later on! Seems from what you have all described that it matches up with where are goats are at - being our first time, we weren't sure what to expect! :happy: