breeding in the summer?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by outofmire, Jul 17, 2005.

1. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

I posted this before, but I just wanted to update and ask another question. I recently bought 2 lamanchas, one milking and the other supposedly bred for July 1 or September kidding. Well, she hasn't kidded. The seller dried her up 3-4 weeks ago, but this doe still has milk.

On July 1 she got to hollering at night, and we thought, oh boy, this is it. But the only thing that happened is she wanted to be around our buck all the next day, and he tried to mate with her but he's just a young nigerian and was having a bit of trouble.

So all this really has me scratching my head. I didn't think lamanchas could breed as late as april, which is when she would have had to in order to kid in September. Also, if she was bred, why did she act like she was in heat? Even if she wasn't bred, why would she go in heat in July??? I am in Arkansas, mind you. It did get a little cooler that day and the day before...in the 70's.

So, my questions are: can she be bred for september kidding? Could she have been in heat July 1? This is just strange.

I'm not that worried about it. I do hope she kids in September because they will be nubian/lamancha crosses. The only buck we have is a nigerian, so it would be nice to get some full size kids out of her at least once. Anyway, I'm just dying of curiousity mostly; of course, I'll find out eventually one way or another. I would just like to know what you all make of this.

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I don't know about LaMancha's But we have a Boer goat that is in the last month of her pregnacy and our Buck is more interested in her than in our unbred females. Hope this helps.

3. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

We live in Pennsylvania. We have about 3 goats who are due in December, and like one or two who are due in November. We have many that are in heat. By the way, we have dairy goats. Right now we have toggenburg in heat, along with a lamancha. Well good luck with your goat!
    Heather

4. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

Its my understanding that a pregnant doe's urine smells the same as if she was in heat and that would explain the buck's interest.