breeding goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by midkiffsjoy, May 13, 2006.

1. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Is it true that does can only become bred August through January ????

(HOW did I miss that??? I think I've absorbed so much information that I'm starting to miss chunks. ack)

Thanks all.

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

nope a doe can only be bred when she comes into heat, and that can happen theoretically any time, but some breeds are more seasonal than others, and some diet alterations can bring does into heat in a faster turn over,
    as a general time frame though August through January is a common time when most does will come into heat regardless, but its not un common eather to have kids born at other times

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

And certain breeds are known for breeding 'out of season', such as Nubians, Pygmies, Kinders.

Kathleen

4. delphinium

delphinium Well-Known Member

Nigerian Dwarf goats will breed year round.

5. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

July through January is often reguarded as the goat 'breeding season", when most does come into regular heat cycles every 21 days. The Swiss breeds...Alpines, Saanans, Obers, Toggs...generally are seasonal breeders and can only get bred during this time of the year. Equatorial breeds......Nubains, also, LaManchas, Boers, Pygmies, and Kinders.....can on occasion cycle year round and kids can be born any month of the year particularly in the south.

6. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

My pygmies all cycle year round, out of 4 does. Mine start getting bred in January, and the breeding season ends in March. If a doe doesn't get bred by then, they don't get bred that year. With this year being my most bred so far (2, lol... Next year will be 4!!) This isn't a problem.

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Some goats are seasonal breeders, don't know which ones though, but all of ours breed anytime we leave them in with the buck. Good Luck with the breeding, bye.

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I have a doe cycling today, a 1/2 LaMancha 1/4 Nubian 1/4 Boer....she has 9 week old triplets.

I am tempted to go ahead and breed her again, but i won't. I am gonna wait and breed ALL my goats in october. They were all too spread out this year!

Besides, i don't think any of my bucks are in rut...or are they??????????

9. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

didnt know a buck had to be in rut to breed, if my buck was offerd a doe in heat he would be all over her like white on rice,
    if he was in Rut though it didnt matter if she was in heat or not, he would try and talk her into something anyway

10. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

I am concidering the same thing. I have several that were too young to breed last fall that are old enough now, but I think it'd be easier to have everyone kidding in a orderly manner. giggle.

But the more you spread it out the easier it is not to get overwhelmed with dehorning/vacing/etc working. Course the more spread out it is, the more confusing things get (who gets what when).