Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting ready to approacha lady about breeding our female Golden retreiver. I was wondering if someone might give us an idea of what a reasonable fee would be.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Every breeder decides their stud fee, boarding fees differently--AND when they give the *stud dog owner's signature on the application for litter registration*.
That is a crucial issue, as you don't want 3 month old puppies with a stud dog owner NOT yet supplying their signature for the babies registration.
Make sure the stud dog owner's signature is on your application for the litter registration in a timely manner!!!
Some breeders want cash fee, plus daily board rates.
Some breeders want their pick puppy as fee for the breeding.
Some breeders merely ask for you to bring your *****'s feed with her while visiting.
But, get all terms and conditions in writing before any breeding takes place.
Get all forms necessary for your registry, making sure all is in order before the dogs are bred.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
A rule of thumb is about the cost of what a pet puppy would cost. Pet prices in any breed vary with quality- just as stud fees vary with the quality of the dog. The price is usually not negotiable and to be honest, even if I could do a stud fee for a puppy- I will not do it. When first starting out I did that and my best pups were taken for stud. If your looking to breed to a show quality stud or are going to a stud who is proven in the field- you can expect to pay the price of a pet pup from a quality line- though it may be a bit lower if the boy is not proven yet (has not sired a quality litter). If your going to a stud that is has nothing yet or anything of merit behind him, no health testing etc- you will get the service cheap or for a pup- but you will get what you pay for.
Also, it is customary that the ***** is offered a return service the next season if she does not whelp at least one live pup. Personally, I will give a return service if there is not 2 live pups at 1 week old.
Refunds are not made if the ***** does not take- especially if the stud has sired a litter before and payment is expected at time of service or when you drop off your girl to be bred (unless the fee is a puppy).
She will need proof of current neg. brucellosis test as well, so make sure she gets one as soon as she comes into season. That is to protect the stud and the stud owners dogs as brucellosis can wipe out an entire kennel. You may also have to prove that she is UTD on vaccinations.
If you do agree to a puppy, be sure to get it in writing as to what pick the stud owner has (1st pick, 2nd pick, 1st pick of bitches or dogs, etc) and at what age and who is responsible for transporting the pup. What happens if only one pup is born and the stud owner is doing it for a puppy? Ask all these questions and get it in writing to avoid disagreements.

·
bluebird2o2
1,203 Posts
Get everything in writing and assume nothing.ask questions.some of the stud owners did not want too keep my female overnight i had too take her back for rebreeding.bluebird

1 - 5 of 5 Posts