breeding dutch

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by smokie, May 26, 2005.

1. smokie

smokie Well-Known Member

what is a good age to start breeding dutch? havent raised rabbits for years, and i am going to get back into it. dutch is about the only breed around my area that people dont want a ridiculiouse price for. so i will probibly raise dutch, unless i can find a better breed for mostly meat. i would greatly appreciate any help. thanks alot.

2. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    A Dutch should be sexually mature at about 6 months. While small, the Dutch produces a pretty good amount of meat for its size.

3. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

We used to try around 4 months, but that is young for a dutch, and not many wanted to breed. Here and there they would. I would say no later than 5 months, once you get past that age on the smaller rabbits, they start putting on a bit more fat and have a harder time getting bred.

4. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

I have raised Dutch for over 35 years. I limit the feed that they get to 'one small tuna can' of commercial feed for day; divided into two feedings. They do not get overly fat, which makes breeding and kindling difficult for the does.
    They are sexually mature at around 4-4 1/2 months of age. But, it is best to wait until they are 6 months old for the does to be bred the first time.

This is what works well for me and my rabbitry. IF someone out there does not agree with me (which seems to be the case lately) they can just swallow a fur ball and keep it to themselves.

You will love the Dutch! They make excellent mothers and after the second litter they make the greatest foster mothers that you have ever seen. They produce a very rich milk that puts the flesh on the young fast. They have a short and cobby body that makes an excellent meat rabbit for the table.

5. smokie

smokie Well-Known Member

thanks for the replies and all the info. yall have been a great help. i will probibly go to the stock yard monday to buy some dutch to get started.thanks agian on all the help and info.

6. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

LOL Tarot farm. My gosh, who's been at ya?!! :)

I like the hair ball part. :)

We don't always agree up here, but we can each post what works for us, and let the asker decide!! :)