Breeding doelings.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ozark_jewels, Oct 13, 2006.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Started breeding my early 2006 doelings this month and so far its been a riot. Some scream and run as soon as they see the big hairy buck, flagging all the while. He really has to court those girls! Then there are the coy, flirty doelings who try to melt through the fence and are almost embarrasing to watch. Then there was the really funny doeling this week who kept backing up into him every time the buck would mount her, forcing him to "overshoot" every time. That was a sight. She wasn't afraid of him at all, but kept practically disapearing under his back legs. :rolleyes: He was getting so frustrated that I finally held on to her and prevented her from backing into him anymore and he finally had some satisfaction. :p I've seen them run forward, but never back up like that. :rotfl:

2. TC

TC Well-Known Member

oh how funny!

3. joken

joken Well-Known Member

Ozark, I have a girl born 3-1-06. If I get her bred now she would 13 to 14 months old when she gives birth. Alpine/ Nubian. Is she old enough? Thanks, Ken

4. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I like most folk in my area breed the larger type goats at 8 months or 80 lbs. Most of my does are bred about this time of the year to kid in late Feb. early March so that their off spring will be large enough or old enough to breed this time of the year.

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

It depends on her size. Is she 80 lbs yet?? If she is and you'll be feeding her well this winter then I'd breed her now.

6. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

I have two 7 month old doelings I'm breeding this month, they are 85 and 90 pounds.The 90 pound doe could hold the buck up until his final thrust and then she flew forward and landed on her face (in soft bedding thank goodness), poor girl!
    Then I have three 5 month old doelings that are 79, 80, and 82 pounds but they 'look' too small to breed plus I think the buck would squash them flat! I'm thinking it might be better, because my buck is so big, to wait until December when they're 7 months old and slightly bigger and stronger.

7. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

yup for the dairy breeds it is 80-90lbs for breeding young does

For the pygmies though you don't want to breed them until 12-18 months because of their small stature you want them to be more mature.