breeding Charlies

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Wildfire_Jewel, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

I do not know too much about a "Charlie" but we bred our broken blue mini rex buck to our broken opal doe and have 3 (eye rings and dark ears...rest is pretty much going to be white). I know we can't show them but can they be used in a breeding program if they have excellent type and fur? Is it best to breed them back to a solid then so the pattern animals have enough color? We were told to breed brokens to brokens so that we would not wind up with scattered white hairs in our blacks. And doncha know those white hairs don't show up until they become a senior so, we have a doe with 2 junior legs and can't finish her now :flame: I think we are going to sell out of the blacks anyways. We only got them to improve toenail color in our blue line. Okay now I am rambling....anyone? Can Charlie's be used in a breeding program?
    thanks!
    Melissa

2. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

A true charlie has a double dose of the white spotting gene, and bred to a solid will throw all brokens. Sort of like a double merle dog, will throw all merles bred to a non-merle. People do use them in their breeding programs all the time.

3. Wildfire_Jewel

Wildfire_Jewel Well-Known Member Supporter

okay so since mine have color they are not true "charlies" just very poorly marked brokens?

4. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

A charlie is just a broken that's mostly white. It has a "double dose" of the broken gene, so it throws 100% brokens even when bred to a solid. In comparison, a normal broken has one copy of the gene.

And yeah, they're used in breeding programs all the time...they're usually a bit cheaper than perfectly-marked animals, so you can often get a rabbit with really nice body type and fur that way. :)

5. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Like anything amount of color can be variable, less color more of a chance of being Charlies. Usually I judge "charliness' by lack of nose color, and amount of body color. If yours have only eye circles and ear color their most likely charlies.

6. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

See, THIS is good info-- especially on how to use something that is "imperfect" to perhaps improve something else... People from other boards should be reading this info!!! (oops, slap hand over mouth!!)