Breeding back?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cricket, May 15, 2005.

1. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

When can I breed my mama doe back? I don't want to over stress her...She'll have babies on her until next weekend or so. I plan to take them off a couple at a time through the week.

Thanks... :)

2. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

How old are the kits ?? normally you breed the doe 2 weeks before the age you wean ,, then start weaning 1 1/2 -2 weeks later ,, that gives the doe appx 2 free weeks till she gives birth again ,,

If you are one of the ones that choose to give the doe the 'free weeks' ,, some rebreed earlier and leave the kits with the does till day 28 and then move the doe to a clean cage with a fresh nest that day ,, its however quickly you choose to rebreed ,,,

Example ,, I rebreed back when the kits are 6 weeks old then at 7+ weeks I'll take away the 2 biggest kits and then 2 - 3 days later take away another 1 or 2 depending on how large the litter is ,, I do a slow breeding schedule ,,

remember to go back to rationing the does feed til she gives birth again ,, don't keep her on free feed ,, she'll tend to get fat and have problems birthing if you let her free feed after weaning till giving birth again ,,

3. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

This weekend the kits will be 8 weeks old, so it's time to wean. I've seen a couple feeding so I know they're ready...I'm not yet though. That means we're getting closer to the supper table. Thanks for the advice. I'll probably re-breed this week then. It gets SOOOOO hot here in the summer that everyone here tends to not breed during July through about September and I want to put away as much meat as I can before then.