Breeding Back 1 or 2 Cows?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JAS, Apr 11, 2006.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Wondering what would be our best option. We are totally new with cattle--goat herder here. We have two bred cows due starting at the end of this month. They are Highland cows bred to a shorthorn.

What I am trying to figure out is how do I get them bred back? How do most people with one or two cows work this out? We don't know very many "cattle" people so we are thinking AI might be the way to go, but know very little about it and the cost. And, if we go that way, what breed would be good to cross with a Highland for meat production?

Thanks, sorry if this is a repeat question. If, by chance, there is a homesteader near by (Brookings, SD) area that needs a free pasture for a few months for your bull..... :happy:

2. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

A.I. would make the most sense.You have so many options with A.I. Start looking around your area for A.I. techs or farmers/ranchers that do breeding. Check this forum and learn....there are a lot of folks on here with lots of common sense and knowledge that will be glad to help.As far as what breed to use; look around and research the breeds, angus are easy calving and awful tasty.

3. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

AI is typically very inexpensive - $15 for a visit here. You just need to watch your animals and keep track of heat cycles to make it work best. Check out Select Sires online to find someone near you. There are others but that one pops into my head offhand. Otherwise see if you can find someone to trade a young bull with or even use one of yours to breed back though you'd lose some time the first year if you wait for one of yours to be old enough. Shouldn't be a problem to breed back once when crossing out like that. Another option would be to buy a feeder bull at a feeder calf sale and then put him in the freezer in the fall. Lots of options!

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

To make heat detection easier and save on the AI charge, you might want to heat syncronize and breed them both at the same time.

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I second using an angus for a bull, AI or not. Angus marble quickly, are a good solid beef breed, and would be my choice. A bull has its positives, and negatives. One negative would be, how is the bulls temperament? Also if your not watching, did she get bred? When is the due date? A bull increases the chances of a successfull breeding 10 fold, AI allows for a scheduled breeding, and you can write the date down. Either way, if you can AI, I would go that route. If you did find a bull, and it isn't a nasty bull, go for the bull. Also keep in mind, you introduce another animal, what does that animal bring with it? As far as disease goes.

Jeff

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

It might be easier finding someone with a pasture full of cows getting bred, and arrange for your girls to spend a month or two there.

7. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

we were given two large Holstien/Angus cross cows back in Kansas, and were lucky enough to have a rancher renting our electricity to run his fence charger in the pasture adjacent to us, so we made friends quick and got to run our two cows with his herd for both breeding and practical managment, he ran Angus so we good good quality meat in addition to simple

i would reccomend finding a local rancher and see if you cant borrow his bull, take your cows to him when the time is right and let them stay for a month or so unless your lucky enough to time it just right and they be in heat at the time of arrival or soon after and you can be sure the bull did his job.
    if you cant find any Angus which offers both superior meat quality and low birth weight, fast weight gain, look for Limosine or Charley, maybe even Herford but Angus is your BEST option

8. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice. I think might have something lined up thanks to this thread!