Breeding Age

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JAM, Apr 16, 2005.

1. JAM

JAM Well-Known Member

I have a three year old Highland heifer and an eighteen month old Highland bull that I think is gay. The heifer has come in heat and teases him but he runs the other way. I've been told that the Highlands are slower developers than other breeds. Is this his problem or . . . . . . ?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The age of the bull should be satisfactory for breeding. If the bull was always around heifers and cows and no other bull he may not be smart enough to figure out what is to be done. Some animals seem to need an older animal to demonstrate creating a learning experience. :cool:

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Hmm, not sure how you remedy that problem. Usually when a heifer or cow shows signs of heat, the bull knows just as she is coming into heat, and trails the heifer or cow. Maybe it might be an idea to put him with a bull, so he could learn as agmantoo also said.

Jeff

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Never heard of this, my experience would tell me to pen them across the fence from each other, and when the hiefer comes into heat the bull will tear the fence down.

5. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Jam,
    I once had that problem and with animals of a similar age. I put a 15 month old Jersey bull in with a 3 year old cow about to come on heat and a few days later watched in astonishment as he spent his whole day running away from this very much in-heat cow :haha: He missed that cycle but by the time the next one came around he had got his act together. I figured he was still young enough for him to see the cow as the dominant of the two and perhaps this is the problem with your combination, especially if it is his first time in with a cow.

I would advise leaving them together and by the time the next cycle comes around the bull will be comfortable with the cow and the problem will take care of itself.

Cheers,
    Ronnie