Breeding Age?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Faithful Heart, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

I just thought of something this morning......

A doe can't be bred until she's about 4 months old, right? Not that I'd ever want to breed that young.... but that's why I'm asking. What is the youngest possible age that a doe might accidentally get bred?

Because here I'd posted (in the "goat's are like potato chips") that I had all these "plans" for setting up pens, fencing, and shifting chickens around. But maybe I don't have to!

Here's the question......
    Can my 11 week old buck be in the same pen with a 2 week old doe? Can they both go in the pasture together when the fence is up in 2 weeks (red brand goat fence)? Just as long as I get her away from the little buck before she is 4 months old? Or should I do it sooner, maybe when she's 3 months old?

If I can do that, then I wouldn't have such a rush to get an older doe for my buck to have company in the pasture. I could take a bit of time to really find the right one. It's not going to be all that easy to find what I need/want. I want a dairy doe, preferable a saanen or mix, WITH horns since everyone else will have horns.

2. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

I would be afraid he would keep "trying" her and if she did take, that would be too sad.

3. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

I wouldn't keep them together, better safe than sorry. Also, breed by weight, not age. 80 lbs is good. Does that are bred around this weight produce more milk overall throughout their lifetime. Or so the scientists say....hmmm

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a doe that kidded when she was 7 months old. So she bred when she was 2 months old. No joke. So do not count on anything with young doelings...... :nono:

5. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, was she okay? What about the kid(s)...

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Kid was fine, doe was fine. They both did amazingly well. :) But it is of course, not ideal! I was very sure to be there for the kidding in case......

7. valhalladad

valhalladad Active Member

I believe the critical time starts about 3 months. You had better either move or get rid of the buck. He is ready and I don't think he cares much how old the doe is he is going to try and she doesn't know not to cooperate yet. Good luck. All the books I've read says a doe shold be a year old at least when they freshen. I also alway figured at least 80 pounds before breeding. I never left bucks with my does after 8 weeks. My bucks were always in a seperate pasture.

8. Faithful Heart

After the first post to this it completely convinced me to not have them together. They've never been in the same pen, but I had thought maybe I'd try it. Until I'd gotten those replies.

What I find strange is that mine don't carry on - crying and such - being in pens by themselves. Everyone says "hurry and get a friend for them!". But they're fine. :shrug:

Is it maybe because they both came to me young? (Buck at 8 weeks, had been raised with his sister till then. And doe at 5 weeks after being raised with bunches of other bottle babies.) As a matter of fact, they don't even cry a little, like they used to, when I leave them in their pens anymore. Only time they go into a panic is when I put them on the pasture. I have to get one, tether it, then the other. So the first one will freak out until we're "all there", and then just settle right into eating. Or sometimes I'll go refill my coffee cup and they'll both go to hollering.

But in their pens they're totally relaxed - though alone. This arrangement is working just fine. (knock on wood)

9. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

are their pens close together? if so then they are comfortable with that.

10. Faithful Heart

Their pens are in the same building, but they can't see eachother. They can hear eachother, and surely smell eachother. :)

[​IMG]

The young buck, Chivo, is in the pen seen on the right. The little doe, Hope, is in the pen around the corner of the barn where the pine tree is. Note: These are not their permenant homes. They're chicken pens, and I need them as chicken pens. :rolleyes:

I also think that part of the reason they're satisfied is because they get time out on the pasture during the day (supervised & on lunge lines). And my husband and I go out to the barn through out the day. But after I put them in their pen, they look in their bowl to see if anything new has shown up, then often go to their favorite spot to lie down. No squalling, no fuss, no trying to leave the pen with me..... just comfortable an confident. :shrug:

11. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

Geez if i was a chicken I wanna live at your house.

12. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

When you do have them "together", Chivo could mount Hope and let her have it in a flash. On another forum, a gal complained of an accidental mating while she was watching, turned her head and in that time, the little fella mated the doeling and was done before she could react!

THey have aprons to keep bucks from completing the act. It amazes me how prolific goats are, and reminds me the work of keeping a buck around.

13. Faithful Heart

Where can I find one? I tried a search, with no luck. Someone else mentioned once about how in Africa (Kenya I think they said) they saw how the locals put some set-up on the bucks to keep them from breeding. Something about a board hanging from the neck. I'd consider making one if I knew more about how it's made, or what it looks like. Tried a search on that too, with no luck.

I am very careful about their distance to eachother. It's more work, but I've already seen how my little 3 month old buck gets rather excited over this young gal.

14. saraohio

saraohio Well-Known Member

Apron sounds better but how does it work? Urine problem? Baord around the neck seems uncomfortable.

15. Nyx

Nyx Misplaced Appalachian

If I remember right, they used rope to tie a plank against the buck's belly - not flat against his stomach but standing on edge. So when he peed it was like going on a wall - it'd hit the board and drip off, but it prevented them from mounting the does and going at it.

16. saraohio

saraohio Well-Known Member

maybe there is a new industry waiting to be created: chastity belts for goats !!

17. Faithful Heart

I still wish I could see a picture of it, or even a drawing. I was telling my husband about it when it was first brought up a couple weeks ago, and he brought up some thoughts. 1) He felt the board would have to be longer than the legs to get enough coverage. I disagreed, since I'd seen the buck "hunch", and he actually gets his back end rather tight towards his front legs. 2) Would this interfere with jumping, running, playing? My husband and I tried imagining it, and wondered if a good jump might actually force the board to hit the ground, and the chest, potentially stabbing or breaking ribs.

Since I'm only trying to imagine how it looks, it's hard for me to know these possibilities. It's tied on the chest? Behind the front legs? I envisioned something that I could make, where there was a harness, in a figure 8, where maybe the board could be attached where the harness crosses under the chest, inbetween the front legs. :shrug:

Still don't know where to find the apron. I don't see anything like it in the catologs. Only kind of apron I come up with is the kind that is a "marking apron".

18. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I don't think most of my young does come in heats before 4 months. Most Nubians heats start in late July, starting very light and by Oct., no wondering about if they are in heat or not (losts of tail wagging and bellering). They will continue their heats until Feb. if not bred and will be hard to notice again. I milk my goats so I breed in late Oct. where they will kid in late Feb. early March and the by the time the kids start to really start to eat in March, things will already be starting to grow. Just don't like kids to be born in early winter with not much to eat and don't like milking when it is real cold. :nono: After all does are bred and miss their next heats I will then allow my buck to run with my does until late winter until my does are 2 or 3 weeks from kidding. Sometimes a buck will get birthing hormones and heats confused in a does late preg.and will try to breed heavy bred does. Not sure the type of goats that yours are, but usually most dairy goat breeders usually breed young does at 8 months or 80 lbs.