breeding age and banding horns

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Dec 28, 2004.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Need some opinions here....I need to be breeding my first "young stock" and am wondering if now is a good time for them. Both are myotonics (fainters) and Fawn was born 12/30/03 and Moo 1/1/04. They are both healthy and in good condition. They just seem so young yet tho. Do you think Mid January would be a good time to let them shack up with Cowboy, or should we wait longer? Also, Moo is horned and kind of a witch about using them on the other younger goats at feeding time, so I'm wanting to band them. Can I do that now, or will it stress her too much with getting bred, or is she too young to have them banded and they'll grow back retarded? She's such a sweet girl, I feel bad for doing that, but they grow straight up and have a hook on them too.

Thanks!

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

not to young for either I don't think but alot depends on thier weight most dairy breeders breed around 7to 8 mo 70 or 80 lbs. as for banding you need to do it before fly season so now is a good time.

3. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

They should be just the right age for breeding. Don't know about banding the horns as I've never had to remove horns.

4. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

I don't breed mine at 8 months/80 pounds. I wait for a year and 100 pounds. Why ask for trouble getting into a hurry to breed them young. As for banding the horns,if you don't want to band them at this time,or at all,put head gear on her. I use that on my goats,who have huge wicked looking horns. PVC pipe and duct tape,cut the pipe to fit the span of the horn tips,and tape into place snugly. My hubb cuts a notch in the pipe and fits the horn tips into it. It doesn't harm the goat or the horns..but it sure does upset them to not be able to use those horns the way they had been! I was at the point of banding horns on 5 year old goats if something didn't change. Hubb was totally against that and came up with the PVC pipe. We had heard of something similar on another board. It works great!

5. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Hey that is a great idea on the pvc pipe and horns.
    I also do not breed before 1yr old but I have nigerians and mini LaManchas with only 2 full grown LaManchas so my breeding program works good for me.
    However there are those that do breed earlier.