Breeding a Hog

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Bluecreekrog, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

I wanted to get an extra feeder this year and breed her by AI. My question is what do I need in the way of equipment to do this. Is the straw simply broken and inserted or is there an applicator of some type used? Also to get the straws, do I just run down to the local feed store or what? Price info would be good too.
    Thanks Rog

2. BDB

BDB BDB

hey rog i just AI a gilt for the first time i got everything from international boar semen they have all the tubes and suplies you need they also send you a video thats real helpful you can look them up on the web the semen is all diferent prices depends on what your lookin for good luck

3. Bluecreekrog

Do you have a link? I googled them and got a bunch of Harley stuff. Thanks

4. Matt NY

Matt NY Well-Known Member

5. BDB

BDB BDB

i have the catalog here the adress is www.internationalboarsemen.com theres a # 1-800-247-7877 if you call um they will send you a catalog or they can probly answer your questions hope this helps ya out let me no how ya make out

6. Bluecreekrog

Thanks, appreciate the links

7. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Bluecreekrog,
    As my hubby is fond of saying, " If you can screw in a lightbulb, you can AI a sow or gilt". We AI everything ( 300 plus) sows. The key is timing the insemination and being very sure that she is truely in heat. We also breed ours 2 times.
    We heat check twice a day. As soon as we find one in heat, we breed her 12 hours later. So, if we find one in heat in the morning, she is bred in the evening and then again 12 hours later.
    We have a boar stud on a nearby farm that provides semen but occasionally we order semen and it is shipped UPS.
    Tana Mc