Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banjo Makin' Farmer Dad
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've pretty much decided II would like a couple durocs. 3 gilts and 1 boar I think I got room for - maybe only 2 and 1. Anyway I'd like to find a good breeder. How in the world do I even start. I live outside Buffalo NY. There is an auction where I can get some pigs . problem is I cant be sure of anything from the auction. Maybe dirty livin conditions. ill herds. Absolutly no papers for sure. and who knows what else. Anyway how do I search out a breeder. where should I start at least.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Look up the breed directory. find A breeder near you. Contact the local Vet. Find out if they can Do A. I. They can Sycrinise the Gilts heats there for No boar needed right Away. Good luck

·
Registered
866 Posts
National Swine Registry, they have a breeder section....These will almost all be qualifed and validated farms with testing every three months, NSF requires testing for the stress gene.....but not for the PRRS virus....ask about their health status for PRRS....many will tell you up front that they are positive or negative. You want your boar to be no more that one generation removed from a champion, your gilts might well be better as cold blood.....Alot of Dynasty and totally wide Open hogs are hitting the market now, try to get something a little different.

·
Registered
866 Posts
boars of good quality are 250 - 500 dollars
Gilts are often about a dollar a pound to 250 pounds.

Special lines are priced according to demand....Try and get lines with good soundness history....If you breed alot of bulk into a lighter framed hog you will get broke down sows...they show good and may win as gilts, but as a long term maternal option they just won't last....You will also want to get with someone in your area and see what is winning up north now....It varies from area to area...

We say thats a yankee hog....less emphasis on length and more emphasis on the front half of the hog...also more fat on a show hog....In the deep south, such a hog would have trouble with the heat and not show well here, Its just what the judges are putting emphasis on this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.