breedback schedule

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ddunk1026, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Ddunk1026

Ddunk1026 Active Member

I have only one breeding pair of dutch rabbits. I'm not trying to push for production, just kind of a small hobby. How long should I give the doe for a rest after the kits are weaned? What is the average number of kits per litter?

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I'm a small, hobby breeder, too. I breed back my does when I wean the kits at 8 weeks, usually. But, they get the summer off, since it's so hot here. Three litters a year is what I'm getting, which keeps the does reproductive parts working.

I don't know if your breed is any different, but most meat breeders aim for 8 kits per litter, since mom can handle 8 without any arguements.

Meg

3. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy...i also have dutches...i raise them for a profit so breed much more then just for a hobby...I have a total of 10 breeders but with my dutches I will breed on average about 9 times a year....at times i will breed 2 weeks after the doe kindles...at other times I will wait till the kits are weaned....it really depends on the health of the doe being re bred...if she is looking to thin,dull coat,just tired out and not herself I will hold off...thats why I keep so many does so some can have time off from breeding when I think it is needed....I only breed my does for 3 years then they are retired and either I keep them or they are sold as pets...a good size litter for a dutch is 7-8 kits..I have never had a doe give me less...this year I am retiring 1 eyed jack[dutch buck]...Sugarbear[mini rex doe]....both are being kept by me as they treated me well and I will see to it they live out a wonderful life here at Tremblay farms...good luck with your bunnies...dale anne

4. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    "at times i will breed 2 weeks after the doe kindles"

That is what I'm doing. I only have one female (Dutch) and she just had her first litter, so I'm breeding her as quickly as possible. The summer heat will soon put a damper on this, she can get a rest then.

5. Ddunk1026

Ddunk1026 Active Member

I live in central IL. It can get pretty hot here, like upper 90's at times. Right now it is only about highs of 80 but will be hot soon most likely. Her kits are just barely over 2 weeks and she seems healthy, a plump stomach and all. She does seem tired or hot most of the time. Are does more sensative to the heat onece they have kindled? Should i breed her again?

6. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    All rabbits are sensitive to heat. Heat is a much greater threat than cold is. I am knew th breeding myself, most of my knowledge is from books and readin others experiences. I don't know just how heat affects a doe, but look at how pregnant woman react to heat. I imagine it is similar for all mammals. The issue with heat and breeding is that high tempuratures kill the buck's sperm. Prolonged high temps can leave a buck sterile for a couple or three months. I would breed her while you can. Make sure she has fresh water 24/7 and ventilation. Outside cages in the shade will probably be better than in a garage/coop/shed. Providing a fan may help. Freeze 2 liter bottles of water and let them snuggle against them during the hot parts of the day. Think of what you enjoy on a scorching day, your rabbits will probably enjoy the same things.