breed???

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by canadianmandy, Aug 3, 2006.

1. canadianmandy

canadianmandy Certified Animallover!

Here is some pictures of Jacob. When we got him we were told he was a pure bred Barbado... But I dont think he is a black belly barbado is their two types...if not is it possible for him to be pure blooded and White?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ty in advance for your help.
    Mandie

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not sure of the breed, but he sure is a nice looking animal

3. canadianmandy

Thanks CM He may be lookin nice but he has quite the temper. He is a bottle baby gone wrong.
    He came from a sheep breeder. I guess they bottled hiim and gave him as a present to some friends. Well those friends Loved lil jacob. He was like a dog.. then they thought they would spoil him and get females and he turned aggressive. When its just me and Jacob he is like a dog he wags his tail and pants and will rub on me. But If Im in the pen with him and the females he will come over wanting attention so I give it to him but If I stop and go to leave he will charge at me. He is separated from the girls and I keep a collar on so I can controll him ... (I like to stake him out in the feild(better eaten!))

We were told he was a pure bred barbado.. Then some friends with black belly barbados came over and said he wasnt a barbado... so I just thought I would check.
    I just want to know so I know what his babies are if we sell them and so on. .

4. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

Frankly, he looks just like a Katahdin to me, except that I've never seen a Katahdin with horns like that. He even has the bump on the nose like Katahdins.

5. bergere

bergere Just living Life

To me he looks mostly like a Wiltshire horn.
    [​IMG]

Neither Barbados sheep types are white.

6. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

He is built like a Barbado and has the horns like one BUT he sure is not colored like one that I've ever seen! Is he a genetic fluke? I couldn't tell you. Have you seen any other sheep from the farm from which he originated? Do you have lambs from him and what do they look like? Interesting.

7. mawalla

Oh, DD and I decided to do a little research and to answer one of your questions.... The Barbado Black Belly and the Barbado are different breeds, but are related. The Barbado was bred using Barbado Black Belly, Rambouillet, and Mouflan. The cross gave the Barbado the horns like the Rambouillet. Maybe yours also has more of the white color like they do, too. All of the ones I've seen in the US have been colored similar to the Blackbelly.

Do some surfing on the web. DD and I had a good time looking this stuff up!

8. canadianmandy

ty for your input.. still no success. I am going to try find the ppl we got him froms Phone number and call and ask them to ask the ppl who gave him to them if they are sure he is a purebred barbado and if not what he is. Maybe he is a gentic fluke.
    No I do not have any of his offspring I just got him last month. But his previous owner said he sired colored babies but one was white. He does have some color he has brown spots on his knees and one on his side and neck.
    My females are Katahdin/Barbado. Precious is 1/2 and half HArmony is 3/4 katahdin/ 1/4 barbado. They will be bred this fall ... Maybe not Precious though she may already be pregnant... But not by Jacob. SO maybe Harmony but she looks like a katahdin.

9. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

I have seen Katahdins with horns and he looks like that or a Katahdin/Barbado cross to me. Possible cross of a Barbado/Texas Dall also.

10. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Wow, I totally forgot about the Texas Dall.
    What ever cross he is, he is a nice looking Ram.

11. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

12. mawalla

St. Croix is one of the breeds used to produce the Katahdin breed. However the St. Croix are hornless for both sexes. He looks similar to our 3/4 St. Croix ram mainly because of the mane. But Barbados have it, too. Other hair breed rams also have that characteristic.

How old is this ram? He does look like a Texas Dall but with shorter horns than the trophey animals usually seen. However maybe he is young and his horns will grow and spiral more as he ages. (They do look like they are wanting to go east and west in the picture, don't they?)

13. canadianmandy

Ty all ..I still have no clue yet... I cant find the ppls number. He is almost 2 years. When I got him a month ago they said he was 1 1/2 so Im guessing he is close to 2 years.

14. beoircaile

beoircaile Master Enabler

15. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Ok I don't own sheep and probably never will. But I do have a question that has been nagging at me (hope its ok that I ask it on here). How on EARTH can you tell what breed of sheep it what?

They all look almost the exact same to me :shrug: :help: . There are a FEW breeds I know like shetland sheep and barbados (there are others I would recognize but not by name). So how can you tell what breed a sheep is just by looking at it? Sorry I know this question probably gets asked all the time :help: .

MotherClucker

16. canadianmandy

Telling a sheep from a sheep is like telling a dog from a dog. Each sheep have their own characteristics and standards. Diffrent colors, hair types, sizes and Shapes of Horns.