Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yup. I've got a Boerboel cross. What do you want to know?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUvF70NwlGg[/ame] Daisy the Farmdog during her first day off-leash at the farm.

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
My only concern is I've yet to hear of an elderly boerbel here in America. From what I hear they turn really aggressive when they get older and have to be put down. Their sole duty in their country of origin is a guard dog par none. Same category as a Fila (from Brazil and often called the Brazilian mastiff).

·
Registered
120 Posts
My only concern is I've yet to hear of an elderly boerbel here in America. From what I hear they turn really aggressive when they get older and have to be put down. Their sole duty in their country of origin is a guard dog par none. Same category as a Fila (from Brazil and often called the Brazilian mastiff).
I've certainly heard of Boerboels and Boerboel crosses being put down for "excessive handler aggression" - but none because of excessive handler aggression in old-age specifically. Both example I've heard of occurred after 1 year old, but before 3.

Unfortunately, I think these cases were mainly due to owners who were not equipped to handle such an athletic, assertive, and dominant animal. I've certainly had my share of problems with Daisy - but nothing that some basic, non-corporal, back to basics, NILIF training didn't take care of.

Not beginner dogs, for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts