Breed question please

Discussion in 'Goats' started by RedneckWoman, Jan 29, 2005.

1. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I am fairly familiar with most goat breeds but I continually see wanted or sale ads for brush goats. I called about an ad in the classifieds that just said goat for sale and I asked the man what breed they were he responded with "oh well they're brush goats". Is that an actual breed or can someone tell me exactly what they are?

2. meggie

meggie Well-Known Member

I've always thought they are grade goats. Mixes good as weed-eaters. Although my first goat was brush goat and she was the best goat I've ever owned. She was a good milk goat and gentle. We never could figure out what ba-ba-goat was mixed with.
    hope that was a little help..

3. MimmyJ

MimmyJ Member

Most of the brush goats in our area are on the smallish side and seem to have a lot of Spanish influence.

4. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

In our area, the term. "brush goat," is almost a derogatory term. It usually refers to a goat of unknown parentage that probably isn't good for much of anything besides eating brush. In days gone by some farmers used to keep 1 or 2. During the day they would tie them between the fence and the road (gravel roads), and tie them in a different spot every day. This way the goats could keep the brush under control, and the farmer didn't need to be bothered mowing that strip of land.
    The term may have different connotations in different areas.

5. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Thank you for the replies everyone :worship:

6. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

...But, while we are one the subject of brush goats... What breeds makes a good brush eater?

I've got more brush than I have money (or sense :) ) and goats are on my to-do list. What breeds would one suggest, and average prices as well?

Rowdy

7. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We sell yard goats...or brush goats. I always figured it simply meant a mutt goat. Crosses. Ours were bought as brush goats..well..intially a 4-H project but they are kept for clearing fencelines and some areas of our farm that have grown up. They are mostly dairy and pygmy crosses but we introduced some Boer into the herd two years ago.

8. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

I like Alpines. If you just want them for eating brush, probably the cheapest way to go would be a couple of wethers. You could pick those up for the price of goat meat. Almost all breeders will have buck kids that they will be taking to an auction. Spring would be the best time to contact breeders about wethers. Most breeders won't hang on to them too long, and most would be willing to band or castrate them. You don't want bucks, because they will smell too much during their rut.....not to mention some of their repulsive behaviors. You will want at least 2. They are social animals and do not do well by themselves.