breed of goat that needs less copper?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by inc, Dec 25, 2004.

1. inc

inc Well-Known Member

is there a breed or type of goat that needs less copper? i know its an odd question- but it seems that a lot of people who range sheep might be able to range a few goats with them, without the worry of supplemental feeding, if they were able to tolerate less copper.

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Not that I know of. The problem is that all goats need more copper than sheep and now days the land is so depleted in natural copper that the crops grown on it do not have enough in them for goats so we have to supplement. Almost everywhere in the US today according to the latest map is copper defiecent or very marginal. Black or dark goats supposedly need more copper than their light colored co-harts however the light colored ones need lots more than sheep.

3. inc

inc Well-Known Member

thank you- wasnt that an odd question. we happen to be in an area that is deficient in many minerals. livestock is not my forte, but i have noticed the differences in the growth of the plants nad especially in the insect population apon them.

4. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

No I don't think the question was odd and besides that the only stupid question is the one not asked. :) My uneducated guess is that if you had lots and lots of free roam acres you could get by with running both a year or two , but most of us don't have that much so have to supplement with feed , hay and minerals.