Breed of bull to use on Holsteinxhereford cow

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by suswaski, Mar 14, 2005.

1. suswaski

suswaski Member

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for breeds of bull to use on our 7 yr old Holstein/Hereford cross cow.We'll be getting her AI'd. She's had 3 calves, no problems. She's more Holstein in body type-- very tall and dairy-like--- actually she's huge-- I'd say just about 5 feet tall, perhaps 55 inches. We'd like to get a beefy type calf , either for our freezer or a 4-h project for our daughter.
    It will be grass-fed primarily, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
    Susie

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

3. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Check out the breeds avalible for use and check the sire summary on carcass merits ,after that it would depend onthe enviroment that the calf is raised in,I would think maybe a longhorn, or an African Watusi. As they both finish out well under a limited feed basis,and the interesting thing is the Watusi will grow under adverse feeding conditions. from what I have read.

4. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I second that.

5. cowman

cowman Well-Known Member

My preference is Angus but a Herford or Shorthorn would work fine also. With the angus you would probably get a black calf with a white face. Maybe a little more white somewhere else on the body but you would get a fast growing calf that will be beefy and will yield a lot of meat.

6. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the Black Angus. Should give you a nice meaty beef for the freezer or a good 4-H project either way.

Jim in MO

7. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Look at Normandes too- they're starting to get more popular and seems most AI services will have some Normande semen available.

http://www.normandeassociation.com/Beef Traits.htm

Normandes were popular in my 4-H county and I was always impressed with the size and the docility of the Normande steers.

8. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

IF you're planning on a kid using the calf for 4-H, I'd try to breed back to Hereford. Can't beat a Hereford for temperament. Read the Hereford post below ;) We have Herefords too that my kids sit on all the time. We went with Herefords (mostly) because we were concerned that the kids might get hurt with Angus. We've never regretted that decision.

9. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

10. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

I'm a litle late jumping in on this one, but Black Angus would make for a nice calf, or if you want something truly good looking throw a Red Angus in there, I'm going to try one this year.

11. suswaski

suswaski Member

I was thinking about a red angus! I especially like how they have a Docility rating in the Red Angus EPD"s!

Thanks for your input!!
    Susie