bred my doe and...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by buckmaster, Nov 26, 2005.

1. buckmaster

buckmaster Lover of Animals

i bred one of my does today because i am loosing interest with them.

i have one that is due on tuesday, who i thought was pregnant but has not even started to show any signs of making a nest and getting ready. also the elderly women who i bought the buck from said if the doe uses its nest box to go to the bathroom it is not pregnant. is this true????

so i put the other doe in hoping in 30 days she will have kits. after the deed was done she screamed and i became very unaware why. it was not like the buck hurt her.

i was wondering if there are any signs such as the screaming that means she was bred because all of the other times i put my does, in they never screamed. sometimes the buck would grunt and fall over, does that mean he did it?

all in all i just want to know if there are any signs that tell that the doe was breed because when i do try to palpate i have no luck. sure hope he is not sterile because i had a hard time trying to find rabbits and even a buck. thanks

2. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

I always wait till my doe starts to pull fur before I put the nest box in.

It has been my observation that a doe will run and avoid the buck if the "deed" was done.

As far as the buck grunting and falling over ..never heard of that..maybe he is just a more vocal lover than mine :cool:

3. Sara in IN

Sara in IN Well-Known Member

Wolf,

"As far as the buck grunting and falling over ..never heard of that..maybe he is just a more vocal lover than mine " is fairly normal behavior for bucks. A solid indicator that they "did their job".

Now whether the buck found the proper orifice and whether the doe will kindle and be a decent mother is a different story.

Sara in IN