Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a bred doe from a production sale and she isn't due until the end of August, at the earliest, according to her service memo. She already has a pretty good size milk bag on her and this isn't her first kidding as she had the "already once filled out" looking udder when we brought her home. I thought they usually only bagged up this early when they are first timers. This is a 75% Boer doe, BTW. Tonight, I thought her ligaments looked sunken but it could be my imagination. She is pretty big too. I think her dates could be wrong on her service memo. What do you all think?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, fiasco farms says that a doe can bag up that early so I guess I'll just keep a watch on her. At leat I know she's bred. She's a black-headed 75% Boer doe who I just love. She follows me all over the pasture like a puppy dog. She is bred to a red, fullblood buck so I'm hoping for some paint kids!! An 88% paint doeling would be a nice addition!!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Some of my does have bagged up quite a lot more than 6 weeks prior to giving birth, I have one that was fit to bust BEFORE giving birth, but is now a very average milker. Disappointing to say the least.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, we have about 20 does....maybe a few more than that, and all were pastured with a buck from April to June. All have at least some Boer influence aside from 3 reg. Saanen yearlings and 1 Nubian yearling. My husband only pulled the large does out to feed grain to because they are the ones who "look" pregnant. I also pulled out a Nubian and a Saanen b/c they are looking fuller in the belly. However, I think that it is just as likely that all the Boer does could be pregnant and the younger ones probably need the grain more than the experienced ones. Since you pasture breed, how do you judge when to give them some grain? Hmmm.....I'm gonna sneak them little girls some grain in the mornings, I think....just to be sure. Wait until he catches me on this thread cuz he reads em'....LOL!!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hi Milk n Honey..well...we only grain the mommas when the babes come. Up til then..they are on grass/hay or hay..depending on the season. The moms stay on grain til their kids are weaned. Then they go off the grain..unless someone needs to get back into condition.

If I would grain these girls..lol..I'd have to pull every baby. My mom's would have a harder time kidding I think. They get like barns as it is. And my "little" girls (FF) would really have me worried. I like a smaller kid when being born..as they catch right up after they are out.

SSHHHHH...I won't tell him..maybe there's an invisable button somewhere!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sad thing is, the pastures are dead and we are feeding round bales now and the stuff we have is just grass and not great stuff. I just don't think that is enough for them. Any other year, they'd probably be fine. I worry about deficiencies and such. Hmmm....I hear ya on the birth weights. I definently don't want my yearlings birthing huge kids. It is sort of hard to weigh the pros and cons on this one. The prego does need more nutrients for themselves but the babies just get more too and get huge. Hmmm???????? Thanks for keeping a secret. I guess I could have PM'd ya and then it would be invisible....LOL!!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Perhaps feeding alfalfa pellets would be a good idea, since your hay is not top quality. That would give them the protein and calcium they need for the growing babies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts