• Up to 2 years

• Beyond 2 years

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is for past/present breastfeeding mamas; how long did you or are you planning to breastfeed? I was reading on another forum and some feed well beyond infancy,some up to 6 or 7 years old. I am just re-starting breastfeeding w/ my 6 week old,after having to quit when he was hospitalized at 6 days old. I am curious as to what the general public feels is the time to wean, as I have been learning there is a lot of differing opinions on it. I bottle-fed my other 3 children, and am trying really hard to re-start it w/ my infant, so in addition if anyine has any pointers or advice it would be most welcomed as well.

·
1 acre homesteaders
864 Posts
I breast fed dd1 until 13 months. She started weaning herself at 11 months but I knew there were some situations coming up that she would need comfort and that was the only thing that was going to work. So I kept nursing her a little just to keep up supply. After those tough times we stopped but she was ready. I may go longer with this one but time will tell.

sara

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
I breastfed all four of my children. My first and second were both nursed until 25 months of age, my third until he was 15 months, and my fourth until he was 18 months.

I weaned all of mine. If I could do it over again I wouldn't wean them until age 3. It's soooo good for them and the balance of fats in breastmilk is so good for brain development. I wish I'd gone to age 3.

:) RedTartan

·
Registered
368 Posts
I breastfed both my boys to 10.5 months and plan on weaning DD at about the same time. I find it to be a good age and also I've been pregnant again every time so at that point it becomes almost to much to do both. I put up to a year on the poll because 10.5 months is closer to a year then infancy. B

·
Adventuress--Definition 2
4,174 Posts
DS was potty trained by aged 2 but when he turned 3, he was still breastfeeding; when I turned 35 3 months later he wasn't. DS's pediatrician nearly had a fit when I went past 6 weeks; H took him to Doctor visits because I wasn't going to lie about my "crime" and felt so horribly guilty. I joke and say I had only 1 but effectively nursed 6. And, no, they don't come home from college and ask for a snack--I worried about that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
634 Posts
The two that I nursed were weaned between 13 and 15 months. But by the time they weaned they were both only really nursing at night. I look at my 5 and 6yo now and could not imagine nursing them at their ages! I'm all for bf, and encourage every pregnant woman I know to at least try, but that is old! To each his (her) own, I guess.

·
AppleJackCreek
3,717 Posts
My boy was nearly 3 when he finally quit.

What people who haven't nursed often think is that this means he nursed several times a day until he was 3 ... but as Pine Ridge said, that's not how it ends up.

He would nurse a bit in the mornings (not every morning, by the end), then after work when I picked him up at the day home (I would have to stop there and nurse him, he wouldn't even wait until we got home!) and then at bedtime ... and if he was sick or something, more often. It kind of tapered off at the end, and we were both just ready to be done.

It is a wonderful thing and I highly encourage every mom to give it a really REALLY good try. My personal belief is that baby formula should only be available by prescription - that would make it easier for moms to get the help they need to get nursing, it can be tough at first, but it is waaay easier in the long run for all but a very few mom/baby pairs who have real problems with it.

Nurse till they AND you are ready to be done. You'll know. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I weaned my first 3 before 6 months. I was just being young and selfish. I wanted my old body back.

My 4th is almost a year old, and still nursing all of the time. I will keep breastfeeding her until she weans herself. She is so lucky to have an older, more mature mother!

·
USMC can't fix stupid(s)
2,736 Posts
if the kid is on two legs and can hold a cup, quit bf'ing....
good grief.
they should sleep in their own beds from the get-go too.
for those who worry about the nutrition, by the time they're 6 mths old and sitting in a high-chair they should be feeding themselves table food and thriving!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Gleanerl,
And while we are on it, if you don't have something nice to say don't say nothing at all. Good grief indeed.

K,
My last one could not be breastfeed past 2 weeks. He was what is called "tounge tied". It was difficult for him. I think you should do it as long as the BOTH of you are comfortable with it. If it becomes a chore for you, he will sense it. If the both of you aren't happy with the situation then it isn't benefiting anyone to keep doing it. Just feel it out. :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I breastfed all of mine. They were ready to be weaned between 12-15months. I was a stay at home mom and enjoyed the closeness it brings..

·
Registered
254 Posts
Haven't read comments yet. But here's what we do in our family.
Let's see first one was 11 months, 2nd was 10 months, 3rd was 12 months, 4th was 14 months, 5 was 10 months, 6 months was between 9.5 & 10 months, and then with this one as long as she/he will go. My last two had to be supplemented, they usually got me then a bottle during the day but at night it was just my milk.
I don't start solids until they are 6-8 months old, when they are grabbing for food that you are eating. I also nurse on demand for the first 6 weeks or so at night, so they might start the night in the crib, but once they wake up they will be in the bed till morning. Once we got to about 6-8 weeks they are usually sleeping through the night in the crib, sometimes still in the bed with us.

Blessings,
Debi

·
Banned
3,368 Posts
gleanerl said:
if the kid is on two legs and can hold a cup, quit bf'ing....
good grief.
they should sleep in their own beds from the get-go too.
for those who worry about the nutrition, by the time they're 6 mths old and sitting in a high-chair they should be feeding themselves table food and thriving!
I agree with everything you just said-- children should be weaned when they can hold a cup to drink-- it's not good for their oral development to do so longer. Just like sucking a thumb or pacifier can cause tooth development problems, so can sucking on a bottle or breast.

Michelle

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
When they start biting, it's time to put a cup in their hand.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I breastfed until the kids weaned themselves, around 18 months. I think kids should be breastfed for as long as possible, but when they are at school and gotta come home for lunch, it's gone too far!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Both of mine weaned themselves around 12 months. Neither had formula, went from breast to cup. I also started solids around 6 months as that was when they seemed interested in it.

I have heard some who never breast fed say it is too much trouble, or they wanted their husband to be involved in the feedings etc.....but my experience was that breastfeeding is the lazy womans miracle!

No bottles to wash, no formula to mix, no carrying a bunch of heavy stuff in a diaper bag where ever we went, no worries about the milk being too hot or too cold. Now it is taboo and supposedly dangerous, but for the middle of the night feedings, my husband got up, changed the baby and brought them back to me, fed on one side, then switched and we both fell back asleep. It doesn't get any easier than that!

I don't know if breastfeeding had anything to do with it or not, but both my kids are now responsible adults, I never had to bail them out of jail, they never had food allergies, and they love their mama. I consider that the ultimate success story for my life!

·
USMC can't fix stupid(s)
2,736 Posts
MicheleMomof4 said:
Gleanerl,
And while we are on it, if you don't have something nice to say don't say nothing at all. Good grief indeed.

K,
My last one could not be breastfeed past 2 weeks. He was what is called "tounge tied". It was difficult for him. I think you should do it as long as the BOTH of you are comfortable with it. If it becomes a chore for you, he will sense it. If the both of you aren't happy with the situation then it isn't benefiting anyone to keep doing it. Just feel it out. :)
God Bless,
Michele
What I said has nothing to do with being naughty or nice.
It's reality.
God gave kids hands and legs.
Let them use them as soon as they're able.
It's called "development".
I took the pacifier away as soon as my son could walk.
Know why?
Because if he could haul around on his own wheels, then he was ready to explore the world and not be sucking on another pair of wheels.
Besides that, it looks ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts