Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually it's ledge. A chunk the size of a big beach ball is in the wrong place - right where we'd like to build a retaining wall. East TN by the way I don't know what kind of rock it is - around here they use the big hammers on big excavators to beat such things to pieces. I have access to a 14" concrete saw and a sledge hammer. What are my chances of cutting and beating it up by hand. I'd rather not just give it a try, if it didn't work the defaced rock would be a permanent reminder and opportunity for jokes at my expense.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dexpan is a product available at home depot, requires a bit of drilling (hammer drill preferred) but will break up rock very effectively and no bang like tannerite (which I am not sure would even chip a rock)

·
Registered
884 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
doc- yeah, that's a consideration, but I'm concerned about differential settling - the wall might, I doubt the ledge will. I might be able to bridge over the rock.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just wack it off , you can cut 5” deep slits 2” apart and chisel them off .
I cut 60 ‘ of concrete today 6” deep it only took a hour .
the rock will most likely be softer unless it granite

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
doc- yeah, that's a consideration, but I'm concerned about differential settling - the wall might, I doubt the ledge will. I might be able to bridge over the rock.
Without knowing the exact situation, I can't make a meaningful recommendation, but using the rock will help anchor the wall, limiting settling, if you can use it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts