bread prices

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Smelt, May 18, 2004.

1. Smelt

Smelt Active Member

Hi All,

I know prices are crazy...gas, milk, etc.

But, my gorgeous, wonderful wife :worship: has been contacted by a local Farmer's Market that wants her to sell her fantastic bread. She grinds her own WW flour, uses natural local ingredients and bakes everything in our kitchen.

We understand small business expenses, profit etc. as we have a successful other small business. We were just wondering prices you see (or pay) for homemade real genuine quality bread around your area.

Thanks!

2. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Hi, That is wonderful and your wifes bread must be wonderful. We like to sell at our local farmers market and have had fun and made a bit of money too. We have has several groups of amish people move into the are that is making bread and selling it for $1.50-1.75 a loaf and we think that is way to little...and so we dont even make fresh bread anymore because of it. I used to sell mine for $2.50-$3.50 a loaf before that and if was selling well. I would consider adding a bit more if i was using all organic wheat...

Well, good luck and most of all have fun.

Belinda

3. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

The whole wheat bread we buy is $2.99 a loaf. I really need to start making my own again.

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I get $3.50 per loaf, which is either a large boule, long baguette, or a slicing loaf baked in a 9x5 pan. Even in stores, the higher end breads sell for between $2.99 and $4 each. You can always lower your prices, but it's harder to raise them.

5. Gercarson

Gercarson Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow - talk about making bread from scratch!!
    Do you plan to "overnight" any via mailorder? If so, what are you going to charge - have you made your decision?

6. Smelt

Smelt Active Member

Thank you for your replies. It's interesting to see what others could/would pay for a staple like bread.

We are figuring out our "bulk quantity" expenses now. We'll be state inspected, have the licensing, etc. The Farmer's Market said the former baker sold 30-50 loaves of bread a day, twice a week. They also suggested she make her pies and turnovers. I'll do my share by eating our wild blueberry pie rejects. We are still juggling numbers and still interested in more replies.

:) Yea...I got a super woman! She's really wonderful-God smiled on me.
    It's funny you asked about mailorder Gercarson. I am of Rusyn (Old Russian Slav) descent. During Easter, our people, have select foods we eat to commemorate the Risen Christ. (Christos Voskrese!). One of them is Paska, a really fantastic bread made of eggs. Nothin' better with Strawberry jam. I don't know why, but Paska is getting very hard to find in the little ethnic stores of my youth. The old Babushkas (women), don't seem to be making and selling it like they used to. My wife has been making our family's Paska since we've been married-I think this year she made 10 or so. I was thinking that perhaps, we could sell Paska and our other Easter foods (butter, hrudka/cheese, kielbasa) over the Internet. Could this be done? Would you really buy bread (or other foods) over the Internet/phone?

7. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

I only do quickbreads, not the yeast and kneading stuff, but I get $4.00 for a middling sized loaf, and $2.50 for the small ones (about 2x4x3). I could get more, but there is already some competition at the local market.

If you have one nearby, check out the local 'health foods store'... Mark up a teensie bit from their prices... You WILL get it!! (Doesn't hurt to make up some tiny loaves and have samples out, either...

Sue

8. Gercarson

Gercarson Well-Known Member Supporter

Buy via email/mail-order? All the time. Recently got (a gift, Fedex) a chocolate cake (to die for) and had to pace myself to make it last more than 20 minutes. There is something extra wonderful about the food process that is more than just food - and to know that so much special effort has gone into it - well, need I say more.

9. For us its cheaper to go to the local bread store, in the next town. Its $2.65 for 6 loaves. It freezes well, and they give you a card, for each dollar you get a stamp or a punch. When its full you get $3 in free merchandise, anything in the store. One day a week its double punch day. However, this is for white bread. The wheat is more expensive but not by a whole lot. We're currently working on a no sugar diet project and we may end up making our own bread again. Even our kids(ages 3 & 4) prefer wheat, believe it or not. I have a pyrex baking dish shaped like a long tube used to make loaf bread I found at a yard sale, still in the box with the instructions. It works wonders. They don't make it anymore. Anyway, good luck with your business, it's always good when we as a people keep with the old ways, of doing things by hand with real ingredients and such. It will never go out of style and somethig your family will be remembered by for a long time. You remember that commercial for that ice cream, where these little kids barely big enough to sit at the table read the ingredients? One was for words they could barely read, and the other said, milk, cream, sugar? As much as I hate commercials, it makes you pay attention.

--------Almostthere

10. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

For bread like your wife would make I would say $4-$5 retail selling to high end customers that appreciate what it is. Don't compare her bread to any store bought.