Bread and goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by burfer, Feb 25, 2005.

1. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

Hi, Does everyone's goats love BREAD the way mine do! Is this ok for them? I use it like a snack, I tear it into small pieces so they will not choke or anything.

2. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

YES. My goats love bread and all kinds of kitchen scraps (I don't give them the meat) Between two dogs, three cats, 20 chickens and five goats we don't waste much. There is no problem feeding bread to goats unless it is moldy. My Mom grew up on a dairy and old bakery scraps were the main grain for the cows then. There is a beef feedlot in our valley that hauls in old bakery products (dough, baked, flour) and uses it to fatten the beef. Bread is good.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I use mostly dark, whole grained breads from a local bakery....but too much is bad for them...maybe half a loaf a day tops....

We also get pies left over from Thanksgiving....they like pumpkin! and apple!

A grocery cart of bread is $5 and a truckload is $20 around here.

4. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

Same here. The cows just about ripped my hand off this morning, so I guess they like it too!! I like to give them to dark bread too, but I had some hamburger & hotdog rolls that needed to be used before they got moldly. Guess that will be a good "call-up" snack!

5. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

Yes our goats go nuts over it. They also really like muffins and doughnuts. They also get some kinds of cakes and pies that we get. As soon as they see us with it they come running! If you hold it for them they will not choke. We give ours whole bread and whole muffins and they eat them fine, although most ends up on the ground.

6. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Same here! Our Boers love their bread. My husband is in grocery sales and runs into the "bread guy" once a week. He stocks my husband up with plenty of bread for the boys and girls. We have found that they prefer the whole grain or dark bread to the white and are not too crazy about hamburger or hot dog buns....spoiled rotton goats! :haha:

7. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Mine love old bread. They like certain kitchen scraps. They about took my arm off the other day when I carried out some old baked sweet potatoes. Ate them like candy.

8. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, our goats love it, too. They'll finish my PB&J sandwiches if I let them, and one of my spoiled babies is partial to graham crackers. What they all seem to like best, though, is animal crackers :haha:

Does this make my critters cannibals :confused: :eek:

Mary

9. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Be careful you do not over feed the goats on bread or you can KILL them. If you over feed bread it compacts in the stomachs and they will die. When I first got Penny, she showed an obvious affection for bread, I didnt know whether she had had it before. I obviously gave her too much cos the next day she wouldnt walk and had really bad scours, wouldn't eat and in general ill health. It took her a good 3-4 days to get over it. I nearly killed my goat. So ever since then, they get a tiny bit every now and again but it is not part of their routine diet.