Brand New Mama California

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by markm240, Sep 22, 2005.

1. markm240

markm240 Well-Known Member

My mama doe just had her first batch tonight! She had ten beautiful kits! I am wondering how many will survive. I have never had a new mama be able to take care of more then 7 at a time without some dying along the way. I don't have any other mama to swap some of the babies to at this time. The closest mama had her babies 17 days ago does anyone think I could wean her babies and swap 5 of the new ones in or should I wait and see how many make it for 3 more days when 2 others are due to have their kits? Thanks Mark

P.S. I am a MARINE though and though but there is something about about little baby bunnies that just melts my heart!

2. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Mark ,, I think you would be better off waiting the 3 days till the other 2 are due ,,

its possible 1 may have babies a day early ,, but even so if they all make it 3 days then you can pick 1 - 3 of the 'runts' to give to the other mamas if
    'they' have small enough litters to foster kits too ,,

:goodjob: You might have big litters from those does too ,,

I've had a 1st time NZ mom have 12 raise 11 ... and the other 1 lived too :) I gave it to a doe with 9 kits ..

3. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Congratulations on a fine litter, Mark. Like Tammy, I'd wait & see about the does that are due in the next two or three days. Good Luck, and keep us posted.

NeHi Mama

4. markm240

I'll keep my fingers crossed and thanks for the advice

5. markm240

I'm really a little sad this evening my other doe hasn't had her litter in time and I'm down to five kits oh well so goes the life of a part time rabbit farmer

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

:( I'm sorry she's lost kits Mark ,, hopefully she's learning as she goes ,,

I've had more than one breeder tell me that most of the time they are not countin on / hopefull at all with a does first litter ,,

but 'professional' breeders expect the does to have it 'down pat' by their second litter and 'most' will cull a doe out that hasn't succesfully raised a good litter by their third time around ,,

us 'home' production people will be more forgiving of an inexperienced does fumblings learning to be a good mother ,,

while I would 'like' for my does to have / raise 8 - 9 kits in every litter :clap: ,, if 'something' happens and she only raises a few 'I'm understanding' ,,

a professional breeder can't be ,,,

7. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

I'm sorry about your losses. Hopefully she'll do well with the remaining five, and hopefully she'll do a super job next time around.

NeHi Mama

8. markm240

Thanks For All The Support!!!!!!!!!!!!