Brakes

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by caroline00, Jun 17, 2004.

1. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

my sons car was hit while it was parked.

he is getting body estimates on it for the other persons insurance to pay.

When he drives it, his brakes smell like rubber. He thinks that the emergency brake is hanging up but is reluctant to have it estimated because his brakes were already bad.

cant he have is emergency brake fixed separately from his disc brakes? That sounds like a result of the accident to me..

when his car was hit, it was in neutral with the emergency brake on

If I can talk him into having it looked at, who do I get to do it?
    if they do look at it, can they insist that he have the whole job done before leaving the shop (if his brakes are that bad?)

If he opts to let it go, is it that expensive to get an emergency brake fixed?

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

When it comes to brakes I don't think cost is the main issue! I don't know what type of car your son drives, but on my car the hand/parking/emergency brake simply controlls the rear drum brakes, adjusting it is not difficult.

I have no idea if he could get this covered as part of the insurance claim, but a qualified mechanic would. A mechanic cannot make you repair anything you do not want to, but if he says your son needs new brakes I would get new brakes. He should be able to do the work himself and if he only needs brake shoes he could do it for less than $25.

FWIW I wouldn't describe the smell of locked up brakes as rubbery.

3. caroline00

hmmm...I dont remember what kind of car it is. he has disc all the way around. NO, it is a burning smell... nasty

when he got his brakes done last, he was told that next time the roter needed to be replaced

this son, is grown and gone so I can only do so much about what he does with his life. We discussed the brakes yesterday... very thoroughly

4. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

dont skimp on brakes. I might be the one he hits.

5. My view of the brakes are pretty well covered. I share the road with your son - get them fixed or throw the jerk in jail if he is that thoughtless of others. Period. Don't care what he does to himself, but no excuse for killing others.

Certainly have them looked at by any mechanic, anyone who works on cars, or tire & muffler shops usually do brakes. Something is wrong, and it should be assesed & if the accident did it, sjhould be covered by insurance. I would say if damage was done, he would 98% of the time be getting a free brake job out of the deal. Rarely would it be pro-rated.

A rubbery-oily smell is often tire rub - just as serious. Brakes smell just hot, burnt.

Unfortunately, the mechanic can't impound your son's vehicle, he's free to drive out & harm somebody. Perhaps the brakes are not as bad as you make it sound, but just based on your comments....

Sorry for being harsh, I know it's not you. Just how I feel. I don't much care how people endanger themselves, but everyone has a responsibility to look out for others & _not_ put them in danger intentionally.

--->Paul

6. caroline00

the question is not whether he drives or not

I drove him yesterday and his wife is today

My question is shouldnt he be getting the brakes or at least the emergency brake estimated with the accident estimates? or is it impossible that the accident could have damaged the brake?

7. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

The emergency (or parking) brake is simply the rear brakes controlled manually -- it can be used in the event of hydraulic brake system failure and to prevent the car from moving when parked. It is usually controlled by a steel cable that runs through the frame or body of the car from the control at the drivers area to the rear brakes. The accident may have jammed the cable or part of the associated mechanism causing the brakes to remain locked. Does he have a brake indicator on the dash board? Is it staying lit or indicating trouble with the brakes? In any event get it estimated along with the accident damage and let them get his brakes back into full working order.

Ken in Glassboro :)

8. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Does anyone really need brakes??? afterall dont they just slow you down?????

on a morexserious note, i would have the brakes estimated as part of the overall damaged componets... if necesary take it to a couple of shops, they cant make you get ALL the repoairs done at any one place no matter what [ at least in Idaho] plus second opinions are always good to have anyhow!.

as far as not wanting to get his brakes done, i dont see how calling anyone a jerk and being aynoonomous about it can do anyone any good I have yoour IP address Mr unregistered and expect no more posting similar to this type either.

William

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I feel storngly on this issue. To explain:

I visit here on 2 different computers, and this machine with this operating system with unknown bunch of particulars has never liked 'registering' here very well - gives me lockups or endless loops of being/not being registered. So, from this machine I am most often 'unregistered' but I make no attempt to hide myself. I always sign my messages the same. Not my fault if the wizards of software don't get along. (Edit - well, try #2 to post under my registered name - didn't go the first time..... Sigh.)

I also believe I gave honest helpful advise to the question asked (in addition to my opinion). Not sure why your feathers are ruffled? I gave my opinion of someone who would recklessly endanger others on the highway. If this family is not doing so, I left plenty of 'outs' in my message. If they are acting responsibly, great, and my comments do not then apply to them. I specified people who willfully, on purpose were irrisponsible. Maybe the shoe fits, maybe it doesn't. I certainly left that open - tried to anyhow? If that was not clear, or my words came through differently, my appologies. Sometimes people need a wake-up call. I have a tractor here on the farm that doesn't have brakes. Ran over one of my fences with it just this spring. I know how it goes. Time, money, it's hard to get caught up with everything in life. But I don't take that tractor near anyone else, & if my laziness to fix the tractor cost me a 1/2 a day & $20 of fence posts, then I'm the jerk for that day - actually I called myself a lot worse. :) But I keep the machine to myself on my property, not out to hurt others on public roads. I hope others out there treat me the same. Nearly any other component on a car a person can let slide, let it hang, not keep it up, and doesn't affect me, doesn't bother me, of no concern at all & none of my business. But, BRAKES are there for the other people on the road, the little 3 year old who is chasing a ball into the street, the other driver who swerved around a dog, etc. Brakes are there for everyone else, not just the driver of the car. Those are the people I am thinking about when someone discusses brakes.

I hope it all works out, & I hope my advise is somewhat helpful along with everyone else's. Problem? Ruffled feathers? I don't understand?

As to the question, as I said before, this is easy - get the brakes looked at & estimated. Not knowing how hard the car was hit, even the alignment could be off causing the hand brake cable to pull. I would think the body shop would mention if things were that bad tho. But it's pretty easy to get that brake cable messed up, & that quickly ruins brakes - if they were good or bad to start with. Most likely only 1 is 'ruined' in the crash, but they get replaced in pairs at least so he would get 2 new ones; but I'm just speculating. Really there is no question on it - get anything checked out that might have gotten damaged in an accident. Don't want something to show up later on your $$$$ that should have been covered. It's good of the son to not want to go out & get a whole new rebuilt car, top to bottom, & try to take advantage of that situation or cheat the insurance company. But if something isn't right, there could be more than just brakes on that wheel - a bearing, a bent rim, a bent axle on a non-powered axle - that could be broken because of the accident.

Now, I don't like writing all this long a message, and making people read through all this stuff. But if feathers are ruffled for some reason, I best explain myself. I would rather be short & to the point & get on to the next message. I guess that was wrong this go-round. Enough from me. Hope your feathers are better, I'm off to other messages.

Have a good day,

--->Paul

10. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

The burning smell is probally a piece of plastic got hung up in the brake caliper as a result of the accident. You should be able to see the markingd of the plastic or rubber on the rotor if this is the case.

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

the answer I think you are looking for is YES getting in an accident can mess up the brakes, if the wheels were twisted and the brakes now bind or dont work...

for insurance reasons I would blame all the malfunctions on the accident other than normal wear.

normal wear or very worn doesnt mean that a good hit didnt mess up the mechanics of the car.

12. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Brakes are vitally important! Period!

If he's reluctant to have them looked at because he knew they "were already bad", he's a cheap total idiot for letting them get bad to begin with - and has no regard for himself, his family, and other people on the road.
    As a former EMT, I've seen more than my share of traffic accidents and deaths ... and had my career ended as a result of someone with "bad brakes".