Brakes shaking like crazy!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by paulaswolfpack, Oct 26, 2006.

1. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

:shrug: Is it the roters? what else could it be? had a brake job 2 months ago they felt good then 2 days later they begin shaking real bad when appilled 35 miles a hour or more took it into the shop am couple od weeks ago was told all is fine the brakes just need to set, well my dd was caught power braking could that have done something? I did not like the guy they had work on it he spent more time talking in the office then working took him 3 1/2 hours still the shaking it scraces me. I bought the 1987 dodge ram from my dad who told me that if the roters are a small bit wrong it will do that. I have to take it back in my dd 22 is set for a 6-8 hour back surgery on the 14th what else could it be?I f it were tie rods would t be shaking at low speeds? I dont think he did his job.at speedsf5 and over when brakes are used this happens he did not take the roters off any help or inpit will help thank you paula h. :help:

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

sounds like the roters are warped from heat

3. chickenmommy

chickenmommy nosey, but disinterested Supporter

If they are warped from heat you should be able to pop that wheel off and see the uneven wear from your description of how bad it is shaking. Disc brakes are easy enough that you could fix it yourself. Heck, if I can, certainly you can. Take the rotor to the auto parts place you get your pads from. They can turn them and fix you right up. Unless of course its too bad and then they can sell you new ones much cheaper than your mechanic will.

4. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Yep.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Power braking will do that. Your mechanic might not be an ace, but I wouldn't put much blame for this issue on him based on the facts........ Heat builds up & the disc warps.

--->Paul

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

On a smooth road and at a very slow speed gently press on the brake pedal with your left foot while holding the vehicle around 3 to 5 MPH. If the pedal pulses up and down then the rotors are warped.

7. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Take the front wheels off, and use a torque wrench to get them on properly. Most places just use an impact gun until the feel it is tight.

Might not be the cause, but it is an easy fix.

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I agree with the rest, sounds like rotors. I have found that buying a new set of rotors costs only about twice as much as having the old ones turned. So, if you're in a hurry, get a set of new ones. They are really easy to put on. Just remove the brake caliper (usually just two bolts). Empty some brake fuild from the master cylinder. Sqeeze the inboard brake pad (piston side) back in toward the caliper using a C-clamp. Be careful to not let the caliper hang from the hose (the hose could crack). Slide the old rotor off and slide the new rotor on. Attach the caliper. Pump the brake pedal a few times to stiffen the brakes up. Replace any brake fluid to the master cylinder.

9. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

....and bleed 'em.

10. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

well, if you replace the rotors, for a couple of bucks, I'd get new inner seals for them. Actually the new ones won't have any, so unless you pryed out the old ones to reuse, you have to anyway.

Also, make sure the pads aren't jammed. Aftermarket pads don't always fit right. On my ford, I have to file the pad backer plate to get them to move freely. Otherwise they get stuck up against the rotor after you do some braking. Then they ride on the rotor causing it to heat up and warp.

11. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

You really never ever re-use old seals! Its not worth one leaking and burning up your bearings and welding the rotor to the spindle!!!! Then you have to replace the whole wheel assembly!
    Also don't re-use cotter pins.

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I have 4 wheel disc brakes.The rotors are cheap enough that when I do a brake job I just get new rotors too.It does require a special tool set to reset the caliper pistons in back,you cant just clamp them back into the housing,you need to twist the piston back in.Thats the setup on a 2001Jetta FWIW,the kit has pieces for other vehicles obviously,only one disc fits the VW.

That tool kit is 39.99 at Harbor Freight.
    http://www.da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=brake+tool&Submit=Go
    Oh well,link doesnt work,if interested its in automotive-->search--->brake tool

BooBoo

13. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

fortunately, I don't know anybody dumb enough to try and pry out the old seals and reuse them.

14. mightybooboo

Good point,its possible her calipers are sticking and thats why the rotors got warped.

BooBoo

15. mightybooboo

You make a good point.What you are seeing is a poor work ethic.I would expect that same caliber of service to be reflected in the work he does.

I would trust your inner voice on that ,you picked up on something isnt right,and you are correct to my thinking.

I dont know what all they did,but it should last longer than they did.The wildcard is DD and her attempt to ruin your vehicle.So who can say?

I would ask around for a new mechanic anyhow.I dont like their work ethic.

BooBoo

16. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

17. skruzich

You know theres a serious problem if you put a set of pads in and their supposed to be the right pads for the caliper and their sticking!!!!

fortunately i have never run across pads sticking before. If the pads don't fit, i take them back and make them give me a set that fits.

Another thing I have run into when fixing someone elses mechanic work is they don't change the brake fluid when they change brakes. Its simple, doesn';t take anymore time than it takes to do a brake job but changing the fluid is just as important as the pads and turning the rotors. That oil absorbs water that gets into the line and thats part of what turns the fluid dark. That water then sits inside the lines and rusts the lines as well as the calipers.
    What i did however to keep from having to change fluid every time i do brakes is use the silcone oil for the lines instead of that dot3 stuff. It doesn't have to be changed.

18. skruzich

19. mightybooboo

Ive seen pistons bind on old calipers.Pads can have nothing to do with that problem.

Good idea on the fresh fluid.I drain my master cyl. then add clean fluid and bleed my lines til it runs clean.Of course,VW uses a very expensive fluid for VW,Audi,Mercedes. :flame:

Since its so cheap to do a brake job on the Jetta,I try to bring them up to as new cond. as possible,it has real good brakes and I want to keep them that way.They last a good 50,000 miles,its money well spent.Im using metallic pads too,another reason I replace the rotors,those pads eat em up.

No bearings on my rotors either.But Ive seen em where the rotor/hub is a single unit.

Brakes-simple job for the backyard mechanic,big savings in costs and you get to use the best parts available.One job I really dont mind doing.

BooBoo

20. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

Don't forget that in many cases it's now possible to do a lot of expensive damage to the ABS system if you just grab a C-clamp and compress the pistons back into the calipers. Always take a moment to open the bleeder and expel the excess fluid out that way, instead of forcing it backwards into the abs controller. This can be one heck of an expensive mistake to make. Remember the good ole' days when your really had to be a knothead to screw up something as simple as brakes?