Brakes and Rotor 87 Ranger 4x4

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by WolfWalksSoftly, Dec 27, 2006.

1. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

I am replacing the brakes and Rotor (cracked) well I have the brake pads off anyway...lol Is there a trick to getting them back on? Seems the inner pad gets hung up so I cant slide back onto the rotor.
    Also any step by steps to taking the rotor off would greatly be appreciated. This is the first Ford I have worked on and everything is greek to me....am used to Chevy's
    Thanks!!

2. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Make sure that you have the right parts. There is a regular and hevy duty brake on that model. If you have the right parts you should be easy to install it.
    If you have a light duty caliper and a light roter but the break pads are for a heavy duty the brakes are not going to fit at all.
    Check the old rotor for the with and make sure that you have the right one, If they are the same then the brake pads are wrong.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Back pad installs into the notches in the spidle, then the caliper slips over with the outer pad installed in it. Be sure you tap in the retainer pins with the notches in the correct position or they will work themselves out.
    Rotor removal requires removing the sfaety retainer and then the large nut. Your rotors have wheel bearings that need to be cleaned and repacked. The retainer is a pain and they sell a tool set with a socket and a tool for the retainer.

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

:shrug: Don't ask me my wife did it on my Pickup.

big rockpile

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

lol

6. WolfWalksSoftly

I bought the tool that is required (17.00), didnt have a parts store that loaned tools (where is an O Reilys when you need one) Now the pads that were bought didnt have any kind of retainer pins for the inner pads..there was a built on clip for the outside pads. I will try getting this all done thursday after work, thanks for all the help.

Big Rockpile...Can I ....err ....umm borrow your wife? :help:

7. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Just wondering if the caliper is pressed all the way in? By using a brake caliper tool or large C-clamp. (Just re-read and seen where you bought a tool. Guessing that was it.) Make sure you leave the old inner pad on and press against it,so the piston does pitch to one side and bind up.
    Some times there will be a line of rust/road grim around the piston part of the caliper which makes it feel like its bottomed out when pressing it in. (might have to clean that off.) It should be completely flat across when fully compressed. No piston sticking out.

On fords you just drop the pads in. The tabs on the pads fit nicely into the caliper. There don't slop around in there like Chevy. And theres no bushings/pins to mess with.

Ive lost my 1/2inch allen socket and that's just fine with me, cause i'm not buying any more Chevy's. ;)

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

9. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Nice link ZealYG. Ill have to check in there before fixing anything from now own. Much simpler instructions than a manuel gives. :baby04:

Ahhh-oops, Lots of differences between a full size and small truck. :p (And yet another example of why i have to remind myself i don't need a newer truck,to have to work on. Did you read the cutting with bolt cutter or hack saw part. :rolleyes: )
    Ok so Ive never replaced the pins either. :hobbyhors

10. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

With it being four wheel drive, doesn't the rotor just come off of the hub without removing the hub like on a FWD car?

11. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Nope, not on a Ford.

Inner pad should have the anti rattle clip facing toward the rear, it helps hold the pad in place. Clean the pins you drive out real good with a wire brush and clean the grooves in the caliper and spindle they slide in. Lube all of the grooves to allow the caliper to float. I've never seen pins that you had to hacksaw a screw off. Loosen the bleeder screw before you remove the caliper to check to see if it's frozen. Then loosen the screw while pushing the piston back. This prevents dirt pushing back into the anti lock brake control and the master cyl.

12. WolfWalksSoftly

Just wanted to thank everyone .....I put the Rotor and brakes on without a hitch :hobbyhors