Brain farts bum me out

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vegascowgirl, Jul 1, 2006.

1. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

About two weeks ago I sat on my deck looking out at my garden, feeling sooo pleased with how well my corn was growing. I had planted from seed in mid May...alot later than I had intended. My corn was up about waist high to my hubby who is six feet two inches. I was happy with that much progress with a late start and such unseasonably hot weather throughout the spring and now into summer. A few days ago I noticed my stalks were tasseling. Out of what can only be blamed on cerebral flatulance I thought "oooh it's already tasseling :dance: ". Last night as I lay in bed my gas finally let out and I was able to think straight again..."eeeeew, my corn is already tasseling :Bawling: "
    It's way too soon for that. Dog it all, now I'm figuring I won't get much if any corn at all :grump: .
    I've grown corn befor, I don't know what in the world I was thinking at first.

Oh well. I AM enjoying fresh lettuce, hot peppers, and am eagerly awaiting my almost ready green beans. Next year the corn goes in earlier....might even start in the greenhouse.

2. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't despair, YET... Go out and check the corn. We have had small stalks with nice ears.

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I planted mine around June 1st and it's gotta be 8 or 9 inches tall. We have had so much rain though, without sunlight, that its like growing it in the shade. And cool temps also. And the crows and chipmunks, deer, and chickens have been eating it. Why do I grow corn again?

4. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

DH planted our corn in April I think.. at any rate, it's done and over now. It's Indian field corn, not suitable for eating out of hand, but we are letting it dry on the stalks now and will shell it out when it's dry and grind it for cornmeal. And save seed, of course. Probably mostly just save seed, I think he said he bought the packet somewhere and only got 12 or 15 seed, but they all came up.

Should make pretty cornmeal though.. it's multicolor!