Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Buck View Ranch
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not homesteading related, but sometimes we just need to vent. Does anyone know of Glioblastoma brain cancer....I have questions. My dad was diagnosed with it six weeks ago, and I'm so lost an confused.....just would like to find someone on here who will help me understand. Why can't life just be simple.....like playing with goats all day everyday:-/

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
My husband was diagnosed with it in 2001- He had radiation--was better until 2008--then, his mind started going--and the tumor growing again. He was too bad shape for chemo. gradually, his mind went-and I lost Him in 2012. Sorry I cant give you great news-but I thought you might want a honest answer from someone who lived with it...

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
Sorry about your dad! I know someone who had lymphoma in the brain. It took a year of serious chemo and a lot of therapy, but back now as good as ever and been in remission going on 5 years.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,868 Posts
I'd like to recommend this book for both you and your father.

Anticancer: A New Way of Life

At age 31, Dr. Servan-Schreiber was an ambitious physician and neuroscience researcher who reveled in discovery and glittering science projects. He was a founding member of the U.S. branch of Doctors Without Borders and a rising star in neuropsychiatry. When a volunteer for a brain scan experiment failed to show up, he slid into the scanner himself and discovered a tumor in his brain. Further tests revealed that he had brain cancer.

After conventional treatment, he asked his oncologist what he should change so that the cancer would not come back. His answer was perfectly stereotypical: "Go back to your usual way of life. It won't make much difference." So he continued living his life as he had before, eating a diet high in sugar and red meat, exercising little, and abandoning an earlier interest in meditation.

The cancer returned a few years later and he endured a second surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Dr. Servan-Schreiber then decided to use his medical and scientific training to explore and investigate how he could help his body to better prevent cancer. His discoveries led to the best selling book: Anticancer - A New Way of Life.
http://www.anticancerbook.com/

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I know this is not homesteading related, but sometimes we just need to vent. Does anyone know of Glioblastoma brain cancer....I have questions. My dad was diagnosed with it six weeks ago, and I'm so lost an confused.....just would like to find someone on here who will help me understand. Why can't life just be simple.....like playing with goats all day everyday:-/
That's a Grade IV tumor. A lot will depend upon how invasive it already is, but they can be quite aggressive.

You need a good oncologist who is used to treating this type of cancer. If conventional therapy fails, I understand there are several ongoing trials, across the country.

May God bless your father and your family.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts