Bragging rights on my electric bill.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Silvercreek Farmer, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

Well, I got last month's bill in the mail yesterday, and I thought it was good enough to earn bragging rights, $35.00 bucks. 385 kw I think. That is with electric hot water (with a homemade 4" fiberglass jacket set on 110), electric heat pump(set on 60), compact flourecents, 1350 square ft(with 2 bedrooms closed off), 1984 double pane windows(weatherstriped this fall and with foil faced bubble wrap insulation on 3 of them). The smaller vogelzang woodstove with a fire in the evening, weekends and the ocassional morning. ( maybe 1/2-3/4 cord over the past 2 months) I have been cooking stews and such on the wood stove. And trying not to use the dryer. It is just my wife and I, and my only big sin is a hot-as-I-can-stand-it 15 min shower every morning( I just can't give that up). All this is in the NC piedmont, we have been averaging 25-30 degree nights, and 40-50 degree days. I have NO windows on the south side, which kills me, I know I could do better if I could just move some windows around!

So how does this compare?

Also the power company gives me an $8 credit in the summer for load control, but I am not getting that now. I do think I'm getting a small discount for being all-electric.

Once again, homesteading on the job!

2. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, Matthew.....25 folks have looked at this so far, and not one of them has taken the time for an "atta-boy", so I will

You've done quite well....dang near amazing considering the electric hot water and the heat pump.

ATTA-BOY !

3. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Great Job. Are you comfortable? If so that is even better. :rock:

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

thats awfull good. I cant complain about my 50 dollar electric bill either. We have electric water heater, electric cook stove, and 3 kids who leave lights on all the time

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Im assuming no washer dryer or freezer?
    Thats very good in any event,wtg. :dance:

Booboo

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

mine is much higher and i am off grid!

8. Silvercreek Farmer

As far as comfort goes, I am fine, my wife complains in the mornings, that it is too cold to get out of bed, but as it is the coldest it ever gets is 60. The rest of the time she is fine. Some mornings I build a fire, but most of the time I don't have time. My biggest complaint about the vogelzang is that it won't hold a fire overnight, there are never enough coals just to chuck in some wood, I can nurse them into a fire, but I usually cheat with a chunk of pressed firelog, what a time saver, 1 -5 dollar log would last 2 seasons, if I was real ambitious I could make my own out of shavings and wax perhaps thinned slightly with kerosene, I digress....

Still wondering what others are running? Or perhaps kw, as our power company won't even tell you how they figure your bill.

9. Brandy

Brandy Active Member

That's great...I'm jealous. We got ours today (and we have gas heat/dryer) and it was over $50!

10. Silvercreek Farmer

Oh yeah, forgot about the freezer, I have a 7 cf(I think) chest freezer, outside in utility room, so I figure it doesn't run much in the winter. A pretty standard Kelvinator fridge(top freezer) washer/ dryer(try to line dry as much as possible). And we do a lot of wash for work.

11. mightybooboo

My usage is up,4-500 kw/month.But im running 2 ceiling fans 24/7 to push that heat down(much cheaper than heating with nat gas 14 foot ceilings),7 bulbs on my dwarf trees,plus 4 always on bulbs.even at 15-23 watts a bulb,it adds up.

But its a cost convenience/security/plant thing,so Im ok with it for
    now.A burglary or injury would cost much more.

BooBoo

12. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I certainly don't want to burst your bubble, but are you sure that isn't an estimated bill? Around here, the one electric company reads the meters one month and then estimates it the next month.

What was your average electric bill before you started your conservation efforts?

13. mightybooboo

Thats very good Matt,I paid 51.06 for 409 Kw in October,dont know what the price increase is this month yet.

we use wash/dryer/ and freezer,gas water and heat.

BooBoo

14. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

my best effort is about 65 bucks....
    now that its cold [really cold] 2x that.

good work man....the dryer really eats the power.

15. Silvercreek Farmer

No, I think I get a real reading every month, I could check real easy, I have one of those digital meters. At one of my apartments in school I thought for sure the reading was off, and called, but they assured me that they read them every month. They were even friendly enough to talk me through reading the old dial type meter while I was on the portable phone. They might even "beam up" the reading, that's what they do with our water readings. Definately is not a equal pay plan or anything like that. Last month's bill was close to the same. We run a good bit of A/C in the summmer, bill runs from $50-60. I was sick last December and unable to chop/carry wood, and we got a bill for $76, our highest to date. I made most of our improvments right away when I moved in, learned it all on my own in college, while living in drafty apartments in the mountains, Boone, NC , all with electric resistance heating. Also of note, we don't run any computers or big stereo equipment, but do have a maybe a 21" TV on most evenings, However I have that on a switch, so when I turn it off it is really off, no phantom loads.

16. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was using my vogelzand, I would get a load of wood ready before I went to bed then I got a extra clock and would set it to get up during the night to reload the heater, when you get use to it, its not much more than rolling over and going back to sleep. You can make fire starters using just sawdust and wax melted together poured into the paper egg cartons, then tear them so you will have a dozen starters. The torn paper carton makes it easy to lite.
    Nice Ellectric Bill!! Randy

17. Silvercreek Farmer

I got a extra clock and would set it to get up during the night to reload the heater.

I'm dedicated, and a bit crazy, but I don't know if I can handle that, and the wife, certainly wouldn't go for it.

18. limey

limey Well-Known Member

I thought I was doing really well last winter and into the summer - highest bill was around $35-$40 - only to discover that my meter was malfunctioning. My current bill is $135.00. Oy vey! At least they didn't try and back estimate the short fall. Now I have to redouble my efforts to conserve.

19. Silvercreek Farmer

At least one comfort us electic heat people have is that electric rates are more heavily regulated than the fuels, seems like most people's gas bills in addition to their electric bill are worse than if they were all electric.

20. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

you prompted me to go read my meter and do some math.. thanks...

I am burning up $5.50 per day at present.

thats $165 a month...

owch.

I'm a bad piggy.