BP building more Wind farms

Discussion in 'Alternative Energy' started by mightybooboo, Jan 13, 2007.

1. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

NEW YORK (Reuters) - BP Plc said on Friday it expects to begin construction of five wind power generation projects in the United States in 2007.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The projects, located in California, Colorado, North Dakota and Texas, are expected to deliver a combined generation capacity of some 550 megawatts, said BP unit, BP Alternative Energy North America Inc.

When completed, these projects will exceed the company's previously announced target to build 450 MW by end of 2008.

"Our 2007 build program surpasses our target and does so a year ahead of schedule," said Robert Lukefahr, president of BP Alternative Energy North America.

The financial details were not disclosed.

BP is one of the world's largest energy companies, with interests in more than 100 countries and over 96,000 employees. BP Alternative Energy North America Inc. is one of the leading wind-power developers in the United States and has portfolios in Europe, Asia & Latin America.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

BooBoo :gromit: <----"It'll never Work"

2. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been out to CA and along 66 Bakersfield. Seen the wind farms. My boy is down in the south 29 Palms and use to work on them till he fell. Last thing he told me is that with all the griping about alternate energy now the Enviros want the wind farms shut down becasue of bird kill. So at this point your d if you do and d if you don't

3. hillsidedigger

hillsidedigger Well-Known Member

Windfarms may kill thousands of birds.

Catastrophic climate change would kill many hundreds of millions of birds.

4. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

Read something (sorry can't quote it) about the fact that cats kill far more birds than windfarms. Plus, there is some new technology (again, don't remember how this works) that limits the killing of birds to just a few.

Patty

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Bird kills is a non issue except for the radical left wing enviro extremists.
    Who still drive cars,LOL! In their electric powered homes.What a bunch of hypocrites.Or misguided I dont know whats.

Wind farms continue to expand Worldwide,must be workable. :dance: :dance:

BooBoo :gromit: <----"It'll never Work"

6. haypoint

haypoint Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate Supporter

Group of them went in this summer in Canada, near Sault Ste. Marie, ON,at the east end of Lake Superior. I heard there will be a total of 50 before they are done.

7. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

Anybody who uses the "bird kill" rant is totally uninformed and blowing smoke right out their arce.
    It has been published that wind turbines kill__.01%__ of what ferral and domestic CATS kill.

Enough of that hog wash.

OK . . so BP is one big mother of a corporation--------But their doing something about wind energy.

Hats off to them.

And when will more of the corp biggies wake up . .?

8. petefarms

petefarms Well-Known Member

upstate ny is having these built right now and there are two companies trying to build more, but are running into environmental issues, population issues. the wealty land owners along the st. lawrence river do not want the view in their backyard spoiled is what it amounts to. they're wealthy enough to hire however many lawyers needed to stop the proces and are not concerned with the benefits to the general population. money is of no object to them and as a result do not worry about the price of oil like most average americans do. the rich get richer and the rest of us struggle. very interesting to watch this play out in my back yard and even have a small farm that is also under consideration for wind farm development, but the trend up here along the st. lawrence river is disturbing.

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Every so often I'll see one of those hundred foot long , circular support leg sections on a trailer coming thru town . They must be 12 to 15 feet in diameter and usually the trailer will have a minimum of three axles so I'm thinking each section must weigh around 40 tons . Looks like they have a 4 inch flat lip and each section simply bolts to the one above it . I'm currently in weatherford , tx and the nearest wind farm too me would be in weatherford,ok or out around big spring,tx which is 230 miles west from me . , fordy... :)

10. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

They just voted down a wind farm here in VT---bird kill was given as one, minor reason. The other reasons were that our scenery is our stock in trade here in VT, also, the electricity apparently would be going elsewhere, not benefitting VT...

Now they are fighting it in another location here in VT.

11. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

Thanks Jillis,
    Yet another example of a bunch of stupid uninformed %$$@&%$@#

The bird kill is not an issue . . . .I've posted else where on that.

High wire transmission lines and regular "utility" poles are easy to look at compared to a big wind turbine . . . . . . . . . Really !!!

The big turbines output is going into "the grid system" right there.
    True, some one "down the line" maybe paying for that turbines output . . . . . .but it is still put into the "system" and therefore IS helping locally.

Jillis, for all those who voted no there abouts, I'd like to go cut their power for a couple weeks . . . .idiots

Thats the typical kind of stupidity the wind industry is constantly faceing ......

rant off