Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I stopped in a Western Auto I hadn't been on before. Worked out well, got some Stihl chain to replace the two Husky chains I trashed when they jumped the bar..

Ahyway, I notice in the back around the corner they have GUNS!!! Yeah... I'm all over this Wesern Auto now..

So I'm looking, and I see they have some .451 balls.. COOL.. I've got a 1858 New Army I've not been able to shoot because I hadn't found any balls locally or bothered to order any..

So I come home, pull out the 1858 and load it up... No Crisco, so I settle for alxe grease...

I let off that first shot and the grin was instant... WOW.. this thing is crazy accurate too.... How can you not love the smell of a huge cloud of BP smoke?????

So I fire all those off, and reload again. Oh man what a lot of work, but those 6 shots are well worth the effort..

Then came the cleaning part... UGH... I think I need to buy a couple extra cylinders so I can enjoy shooting it enough that it makes cleaning it worth the fun..

Makes me want to get a left handed holster made for it for my gunslinger rig just so I can carry it around the property in case anything looks like it needs shooting.. like cans or rocks or trees or something.. :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
I haven't seen a Western Auto in years. When I was a kid I remember going in the one in town they always had any part you needed. I don't remember seeing any guns though. It seems that I used to have an old bolt action .410 that had Western Auto on it.

·
Unapologetically me
20,935 Posts
BP shooting is a whole different animal, and a whole lotta fun. :thumb:
I've got a Pietta Navy in .44, lots of fun, but I haven't shot it in quite a while.
Maybe I'll get it out this weekend.

Reactions: doingitmyself

·
Premium Member
25,207 Posts
I shot one of my 36s last Fri loaded with coco puffs for a halloween hayride church affair. First time they/it been shot in over a decade.

I neither have seen a WA in over 25yrs.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Check your loads. My buddy and I got int black powder in our early teens. Last year he was sitting in a stand when a doe walked under him. He decided to shoot her with his Old Army .44. He hit her in the forehead, and the ball bounced back and hit him in the foot! HAHAHA! Poor doe probably had quite a headache, but she didn't stick around. I forget how much powder he was using. He upped it after that. :)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
LOLOLOL that was a good one!! Sounds like he forgot to add the powder charge and the cap had just enough pop to lob the ball out and bounce back!! Thanks for sharing that story!!

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm already thinking about selling this one and buying a steel frame.. This one is an old Armsport brass frame model. I was running 30 grains in it of fffg Goex.. Too heavy a load for that brass... Uberti calls for 30g in their steel frame.. The instructions on this one says 30g too, but for brass.. too much..

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was an interesting read.. Never knew Sears had owned them, and to hear they no longer allow the name to be used? hhhmm.. Real interesting.. but this town is really really small in the middle of nowhere..

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
the ruger old army is the way to go for cap and ball , strongest built , the manual just says you can't put to much black powder under a ball and still get the ball seated so the cylinder turns , but it is heavy enough that it still isn't hard on the hand but very accurate

cleaning now that is less fun than shooting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts