Boxing up Tomaotes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Trisha-MN, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Well, with all our cool weather I have the most beautiful crop of tomato vines and green fruit ever. I think I've only seen about 4 tomatoes that are even thinkin about turning and they're just starting to blush.

We made it though the frist frost on Monday night but we have a pretty cold frost (upper 20's) predicted for Friday so I don't hold much hope of that one passing us by.

DH and I will be going out tonight with newspaper and boxes and boxing up a bunch of fruit. The way I've done it before is to wrap each individual fruit in newspaper and make layers.

Anyone else have any ideas on how to get the fruit to keep/ripen?

Trisha-MN

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

We've had success in the past by laying down some cardboard on the basement floor and spreading the tomatoes as is. As long as the fruit were close to maturity and kept in the dark, they would ripen without the wrapping. We'd done the paper thing also but invariably one would spoil and a half dozen would get soaked with rotten juices.

Tomatoes were late here also this year with some running close to 3 weeks behind normal. The only variety not affected by the cold and wet summer was Mother Russia. Large pink fruit began ripening right after cherry tomatoes. Wisconsin 55 loved the weather as far as setting an unusually large number of fruit. However, two weeks later than normal for ripening. Now I almost wish for a frost to stop everything as there are enough canned to last for two years! Both of those available from the link below. That guy has a real good deal on them! ;)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/exch0921005425886.html?4

Martin

3. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Thanks Martin:

I already have WI-55. The Silvery Fir Tree, overall seemed to show the most fruit closest to turning.

The ones I thought were the most fun, even green, were the Pink Ruffled and the Ukranian Heart. Fun shaped fruit.

I'll drop you an email!

4. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

wrap individually in paper and put in a cardboard box. Take out as you need them.