boxelder trees for use as mulch

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Leay, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

Hi all
    We just purchased a chipper/shredder and have a lot of boxelder trees that we are getting rid of. Can we use these trees as garden mulch? I know there are some that cannot be used and wondered if this type of tree was one of them.
    Thanks

Leay

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

they are in the maple family i think. i bet it would make good mulch. i would just be careful of the seeds. they seem to have seeds much of the time and i wouldn't want little box elder trees popping up all over the place.

i just did the same thing with some box elder,only i used the mulch for landscaping the weedy front lawn fence. afterwards i realized what i did and am now dreading the hundreds of sprouts that i bet i encouraged. :shrug:

it seems like i had a bumper crop of silver maple seeds flying all over the place from my two huge trees. i have maple sprouts all through, my garden from them.

3. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, Meloc. I now have more Boxelder mulch than I know what to do with. We're trying to clear out the pasture....
    Leay

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Walnut is the tree you don't want to use for mulch, or have near many garden crops.

5. northstarpermie

northstarpermie Well-Known Member

It's great for mulch. If you're going to use it in the garden, I would let it decompose first. The gases released in the decomposing stage can kill plants. That would be my only worry with that.

6. Leay

Leay Well-Known Member

Thanks for replying Jim and Northstar. I did put some fresh mulch around the tomato plants but thought better of it and moved it between the rows instead. I now have a pile of boxelder mulch sitting behind the shed, decomposing. By the time we get done grinding up all those trees, the pile will be bigger than the shed. Those boxelder trees sure do multiply!
    Thanks for all the good advice, guys.
    Leay

7. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

those trees seem to back again and again unless it is in an area that is mowed or you dig the roots. they really do grow like weeds. the worst is when they pop up next to a building.