Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I bought 17.71 acres in a small town called Ben Wheeler, Texas. It has been a dream of mine to have a Log Cabin in the woods. I'm finally getting my dream to come true, and after a slow start because of rain, the log home if now half way done. And now we're at a stop with only the shell of the home done. Then as I was doing research on another activity I want to do at my new place, I found this website. One of the things I wanted to find out about was the steps to take to homestead my property, along with having dairy goats, chickens, and maybe even a couple of horses. If my old self can still get up on a horse and ride. My parents moved us to California after my dad retired from the U. S. Navy in 1971 and his last post was in Albuquerque, New Mexico Kirkland Air Force Base. Which is where my aunt started me riding at the young age of 3. I would have been happier stay there or even moving to Montana where my dad was from. But now I get to do what I've always felt I was meant to do, as least I hope I get to soon. I'm not someone who does well being trapped somewhere I don't like. And I'm not a city mouse, I'm a country mouse.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,866 Posts
Glad to have you here! East Texas is a unique place.

The best advice is RESEARCH. Read, get to know what services are available through the extension office and conservation district.

Of course, now that we have the essential services only situation due to the Covid Virus, a lot will have to wait a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Research has been a big part of my recent learning experiences these past few months. I have books on raising dairy goats, building enclosures, and I've been subscribing to magazines that I can remember my grandma reading. I've even been learning how to butcher my own meat, and herbal and natural medicines. Seeing as everyone in the town in California that I'm in right now are buying up all the toilet paper and hand sanitizer, I've learned how to make my own sanitizer, household cleaners, and substitutes for toilet paper. Although I did find myself trading a toddler car seat for some toilet paper. Something I ever thought I would ever say I've done. Lol

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far everytime we have made the trip back to Texas, It's been before First Monday's or after. We've never been in town during a first Monday weekend yet. And before this virus shut down the country and before my back surgery in February, I was flying back there about every few months since we bought the place in July 2018. And we drive out in July and December, it takes 38 hours from our place in California to Ben Wheeler and 40 hours if we bring our 3 dog's with us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts